Offshore Shared hosting for a lyrics community site

Status
Not open for further replies.

Orca

Hi everyone,

So while i'm still looking around for plugins/scripts for a lyrics site
(http://www.wjunction.com/82-web-app...im-looking-cms-script-new-lyrics-website.html)

I thought i could open up another thread in regards to hosting. I'll keep it brief if i can.

My site:
  • 1,000 - 2,000 users daily (expected)
  • Scripts: WordPress/Drupal/Joomla (undecided)
  • Content type: lyrics (no real audio files will be hosted)
  • URL: I'm staying anon , thanks.

Why offshore ?
I don't want the server in US/UK

What server am I looking for ?
  • "Shared Hosting"
  • Apache
  • CPanel (I don't like the free VirtualMin)
  • 10 GB HDD (i don't care how small, because no audio is being hosted)
  • 10 GB HDD (as a back-up, so this server has to be in a "RAID" set-up)
  • Full Sever Management (I'm sure Shared hosting should always be managed)
  • Dedicated IP (I wouldn't want to share an IP with another person)
  • Ability to add my OWN SSL certificate (i don't want to share SSL with others)

So, what about the company ?
  • Must NOT be based in US, UK, FR (Basically the company must not be from any of those countries)
  • Have been in the hosting business for LEAST 5years (Sorry, I don't trust the new companies no matter how shiny they may be!)
  • Server Locations: Netherlands, Sweden , Switzerland (maybe other places but i PREFER the first 2 locations)
  • Support: Fast response times (if i have a problem, i don't want to wait a million years to get a simple answer)
  • Billing: PayPal preferred

Budget ?
$5 - $10 (Similar to what hostgator charges)

Thanks for reading :)

Last edited:
12 comments
You want shared hosting yet you want 2GB RAM allocated to you? What? Better get a vps then it will be within your budget.

Cheers

Sorry guys, i removed the 2GB part, i meant 2GB as in "burst memory" . However, the amount of ram should be reasonable, as most CMS scripts require 512mb as a minimum to run smoothly.

That's quite considerable amount of RAM actually. Consider servers with a generous 32GB RAM, with 2GB usage, only 16 users like yourself could be put on the server. Even at 512MB as a minimum, you're looking at 64 users maximum. If all 64 pay $10, then I suppose it could be worth while but at $5.. that's much more tricky.

How much bandwidth do you need?

@HostHK
To be honest, i've been with hostgator for 3yrs & having had a wordpress site with 10,000 users on their shared plans, i was paying around $10 (more or less)

I don't know how much ram they offered, but the site was running smooth for years. I don't mind even 500gb bandwidth, or even less. Since, no actual audio is being hosted. Only the database, text, images is all that's going to be on the server.

VPS is expensive for a site that only has 1,000 users per day or something.

@HostHK
To be honest, i've been with hostgator for 3yrs & having had a wordpress site with 10,000 users on their shared plans, i was paying around $10 (more or less)

I don't know how much ram they offered, but the site was running smooth for years. I don't mind even 500gb bandwidth, or even less. Since, no actual audio is being hosted. Only the database, text, images is all that's going to be on the server.

VPS is expensive for a site that only has 1,000 users per day or something.

Hi Orca,

Don't get me wrong. If you typical usage is less than 512MB RAM and only occasionally need upto 2GB, then I would concede that even if all users on the server were like you, it would still be technically possible (and profitable) to operate. The problem is if EVERYONE required 2GB RAM constantly, it would simply be impossible to make any money at today's hardware prices.

If your bandwidth requirements are above 100GB, then pretty much any EU provider could handle you. You can cross off Asia (if it were a consideration) given high bandwidth costs.

Thanks for suggestions everyone, i've decided to go with beamservers (who are here at WJ).

It's been a day so far, so let's see how this service goes.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back