New at VPS hosting, Trouble getting website loaded

Status
Not open for further replies.

Depaq

Alright, so I have a new VPS and I'm trying to run the install script of my software but no matter what folder I put it in, all I get is a 404 not found when I try to open it.

Can someone tell me what folders I should be extracting the files to in order to make it load in my browser?

Yes, I should have Kloxo installed but this host currently has control panel access disabled due to a major security risk atm. So that is currently of no help since I can't open it. All I have is SSH.

I also no not currently have a domain name attached, as I have not looked into how to do this with only SSH yet. Is this something I need to have instead of only trying to use my server's IP address? I wouldn't think so but I don't really know for sure.

21 comments
Alright, and is there anything I can do to clean up my folders? I have unzipped files everywhere right now! :heiligenschein:

You can connect via SFTP with most FTP apps, use your root login to see where you have put files most likely in ~ /root

CuteFTP & Fillezilla will connect via SFTP

Hmm, are you sure it isn't /var/www/ ? /html seems like it is too far inside when looking at it through filezilla. I'm still not getting the install file to load.

I got it to find the file, but now it turns out I'm missing other software, apparently. Going to see about getting this missing stuff installed with the power of google, and hope I don't break anything in the process.

first, You must know where is the apache web directory is located. for some it's located at /var/www, /etc/var/www.

Had You install webserver already ? Apache, LightHttpd, Nginx ?
If hadn't installed yet, please install it first.

Ok, so I had the OS reinstalled. Now I have installed Webmin.
Through webmin I have installed apache webserver and MySql database server.
Through SSH I have installed PHP.
Right now all I get when trying to access the server with the IP given to me by the host, I only get:

Unable to connect

Firefox can't establish a connection to the server

So, what am I missing? I also have the files for this scripted currently placed in /var/www/html.

Last edited:
are you using centos?
check if apache service is running

service httpd restart

then check the firewall and stop the firewall later you can add accept rule for port 80

service iptables stop

setenforce 0 << this disable selinux

after this check again see if you can see anything in browser

Yes I'm using CentOS.

Doing that now makes it bring up a blank white page. So I'm guessing it helped but I still should be seeing the script I installed if it was working properly.

Do I maybe have my files in the wrong folder? Having them in just /var/www/ brings up the apache test page.

Last edited:
good , you can find out the default directory location in

/etc/httpd/conf/httpd.conf

putting your file in /var/www/ it enough if you see your test page there just copy the script double check the script's configuration file like database connection then you set to go everything should work just fine.

you can set name based virtualhost in httpd.conf and address other path for your domains.

It says my document root is /var/www/html

This is just bringing up a white page though.

I'm not really sure what the full name of my mysql database is. I have it named "images" which is what it shows up as in the panel. But I know for my shared hosting, it was in this format: name_images

So, how do I find this out? Is it just the server name? Because that does not seem to be working.

I had created this new database and imported an sql file for it. Also created a user and password for it.

Do I need to create this virtualhost you meantion?

thats it, after you copy the script in /var/www/html and you see white page its probably cant connect to database or it need to install what script you using?

It doesn't say to run an install on the instructions. I followed all it said. This is for an imgshot script.

I think the problem lies with the database settings, as I really don't know for sure what the values should be.

Right now I have this (values are not real, but look the same)
// DATABASE CONFIGURATIONS
define ("DB_HOST", "QZSW001"); // set database host
define ("DB_USER", "username"); // set database user
define ("DB_PASS","password"); // set database password
define ("DB_NAME","images"); // set database name

I changed the middle values for this post, obviously. But I'm just not sure how it is supposed to look. Like for shared hosting, the DB name would have been something like account_images and same with the username.
As for DB Host, I have tried the server name(above), root, and localhost. Don't know what else to try.

Could it possibly be related to not having a domain for it rather than just an ip address? I wouldn't think so but I'm out of ideas.

the DB_HOST is generally "localhost" for other parameters you need to login to your phpmyadmin and check them, cpanel use the account_images pattern

If you are getting a white page then it means there is some problem,

Either the files are not in the right place
There is some error with the index file
PHP isn't properly compiled with modules
Recheck your MYSQL details, Host is localhost

Enable error_reporting and see what is wrong with it.
Or else ask a server expert to fix it for you.

I see. I turned on errors and now the page shows this:
Fatal error: Call to undefined function mysql_connect() in /var/www/inc/functions.php on line 1918

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back