Need helps choosing VPS for database server

Status
Not open for further replies.

lyoko

I have two VPS. Both are Linux VPS.
The first VPS has 1GB dedicated RAM, 3GHz CPU and 20GB 15,000 rpm HDD
The second one has 3GB dedicated RAM, 4GHz CPU and 25GB 5,400 rpm HDD

I'd like to improve my website performance with using one VPS to store database and the other to run apache.
My database is now about 800MB without compress.
Which one should I choose to store mysql database?
Thank you.:)

9 comments
I would say run the web on the 1GB VPS and the Database on the 3GB VPS. I'd assume you're traffic will be increasing soon, so your database load would increase as the posts do too. you'd probably need to upgrade the apache VPS when your site traffic increases

You can run db on ram disk, which will be much faster than any other type of disk. Once you have grown a lot and it is too much size for the ram, you can go for solid state drive.

both of your vps lacks something for DB.

Its better if you get 3GB RAM an 20GB 15K HDD for Database VPS.

Hosting on RAM disk is risky. if your vps restarts for some reason, you will loose the latest db data (considering you backup database to hdd every 1or few hrs).

I agree with you, vgnheart. Both lacks something for DB server.
So what is the best choice in this case?

I see no reason to have a ram disk of any kind if you are using the 3gb ram VPS for your MySQL server.

You could easily run with that server even if your site's DB grew to 5gb.

You just need to edit the configuration correctly for your server and also do a correct setup by looking into optimizations.

A ram disk for MySQL is the worst idea to ever use even a solid state drive is a very bad idea. This coming from a host is very sad.

Do not try that unless you plan to destroy your database within 5-6 months if your traffic is more then 1k daily.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back