Status
Not open for further replies.

Lifetalk

I'll begin with a simple warning - this thread is primarily intended for serious discussion/debate/feedback. This thread will not tolerate any sort of lulz and crap and 'cool story bro' shit. If you think you're funny and you try to prove that in this thread, I'll skip all infractions and hit you with a 1 or 2 week ban.
</ End Warning >

With the recent introduction of 'no paid uploading' rule, I've noticed the stance of the community has changed drastically. Not only that, we've had some really outrageous suggestions and conclusions. So I figured a thread like this will help. The primary reason behind this thread, is to officially clear a lot of doubts and overall confusion on some important matters. So, without further ado, I'll do exactly that.

Who WJ caters to?
I feel this is quite the fundamental question that people answer differently. Sure, you're entitled to your own opinion and judgement, but there's the official answer too.
Besides being a webmaster forum, WJunction is also a warez webmaster forum. Right from its inception, it has been associated with warez in one way or another. However you look at it, that holds true. You cannot deny the fact that WJunction's popularity stems mostly out of the fact that it's one of the biggest warez webmaster forums. It caters to all types of warez webmasters, and uploaders alike.

Why uploaders?
That's kind of the question you see being asked around here a lot. Being associated with warez, it's more than obvious that uploaders (leechers, as some may choose to term them) are attracted to WJunction. The wealth of information available on WJunction is invaluable. WJunction appeals to people trying to make money on the Internet through warez, exactly as any blackhat forum would appeal to people trying to generate a quick buck using unethical means.

The latest rule
OK, this needs some serious clarification. The rule that forbids paid and free uploading services applies to exactly that and nothing more. I've personally seen people say it's the end of warez on WJunction and that Wjunction is finally weeding out everything warez. That is incorrect.
The Filehosts sections will stay. The Marketplace will stay. Nothing will change. There's no reason for it to. WJunction realizes that quite a vast majority of its traffic is because of these sections and other sections that deal with warez related discussions. There's no logical reason for WJunction to kill off the very sections that it thrives on.

You don't like people making money with warez?
Yeah, we've lately had that come up as a trend. Ever since the introduction of the new rule forbidding paid/free uploading, we've had members change their attitude quite a bit. People who previously just discouraged and spoke against members who uploaded warez for money, now publicly disgrace and disregard them. I've personally seen members harassing other members about it.

Here's the thing - if you do not like the fact that someone out there is using warez to their advantage to earn money off it, the simplest advice is to ignore them. Yes, you probably remember warez from the 80's when it was completely free and not easily accessible. Times change. Get over it. Go on and make money if you're jealous of them making money off warez. If you're not jealous and earn enough, leave them alone.

The more serious issue is how common the 'get a job' phrase has become. The ones using that phrase (myself included at one point, and more recently in a topic bitching about Fileserve) need to realize that getting a job is not as easy as it sounds. Not every one is capable of getting a job. Getting a job depends on a wide variety of factors - your age (primary factor) and the economic conditions in the country you live in. Asking people to 'get a job' and not earn money off something they otherwise can is immature. Sure, it appears to be a mature suggestion, but it sounds pretty immature. So, my advise is you steer clear of that suggestion unless you're giving it to someone your age who lives in the same city/country as you do.

The topics bitching about filehosts
Leave them be. That section was created for threads like that. If you don't like people who create those topics, ignore them and their topics. You cannot suppress free speech the same as WJunction cannot. So insulting people and asking them to get a job because they complain about how a file host is cheating them, banning them, or cheating their statistics is completely immature.

I recently locked a topic about a similar issue relating to Fileserve. Prior to locking it, I had it open for quite some time. It was only after it deviated from it's originally intended purpose that I locked it (because it ended up being a flame war). Beyond that, I neither have the intent or the right to lock topics created in that section because the section is dedicated for topics like that. Again, if you don't like topics in that section, stay away from the section instead of harassing people there just because you can.

Topics in the Polling Plaza
Again, leave them be. I trashed that sex topic earlier today because all I saw was every member abusing and shunning ACE for something he said in his OP. Beyond that, I have no reason to trash any topic. Similarly, you have no reason to hate on topics created there. The description of that section explicitly mentions that the user is free to create any type of poll he wants to, minus of course the ones created for the sole intention of spamming.

WJunction may be a webmaster forum, but people are also allowed and expected to chill here. You don't have to be uptight about the entire 'webmaster' mumbo jumbo. You can relax too. And of course, let the others relax.

So, suggestions along the lines of 'do something about topics like that' are most definitely appreciated, and welcomed. But rest assured that those suggestions will eventually be discarded and ignored. This is not to say that actual suggestions will be ignored - just please don't waste your own time and effort in suggesting stuff that clearly needs not be suggested. You'll only frustrate yourself in doing so because you wish to see change, but you don't because it's illogical to make that change.

Staff are humans too
The general community on WJ expects every member of staff to be a robot. They expect them to not make any mistakes and to be picture perfect at all times. That is neither possible, nor logical, nor practical. Staff have the right to joke around the same as you members troll without remorse. Similarly, staff can make the mistakes the same as you members make tons and tons of mistakes every single day (the reports) that we staff clean up after.

So if a staff member says something or does something that he ought not to have done, don't jump on the bandwagon and flame him to hell. Don't cry out that he deserves to be demoted and/or that he should not log in to the website. The staff don't do that to you when you invariably make a mistake.

Overall

WJunction has been progressing nicely. It grows every day. If something were wrong, it'd be falling in terms of member count and activity and general fun/discussion on here. That's clearly not the case given the number of reports I wake up to every single day and the time I spend here every single day. So please, don't assume that WJ is falling behind and/or getting out of control. It's one of the most perfect and friendliest of places I've had the fortune to be a part of. For what's it worth, I appreciate and respect this place. The same as I appreciate and respect its members. They're all a part of the community.

Suggestions are always welcome; but please don't expect every suggestion to be implemented. And if your suggestion is not, please don't take that as a sign of WJ's personal hate towards you because that is never the case.

P.S: I am not an uploader ;)

13 comments
I'm speechless. I enjoyed every word you wrote.

You've got everything down on the sheet. You have explained in depth, it's easy to read and it's easy to understand. Everything you say is based on facts, I love such a quality that is written in your post.

WJunction grows every day.

WJunction is definitely a place where all people can spend their leisure time and enjoy themselves together with other people. Learning new things, gain new knowledge, share knowledge, etc.

WJunction had'nt been the same without you guys.

Everyone is unique in their own personal way.

You are wonderful - all together!

I agree with everything you have said Lifetalk.

The problem is people come to their own conclusions on things, just because 1 thing has changed.

I myself only upload for my sites, and yeah I do make a little bit of money on it, but thats mainly to pay for the hosting of the site/sites.

I am currently living in Wales, which is in the UK and I am actually looking for a job, the problem at the moment is there are 100's of people applying for the same jobs as others, and even thought I have qualifications in the jobs I am applying for, I still do not end up getting the job, mainly because the other people applying have had experience in the kind of job, which I have yet to. The only experience I have is in bar work, which at the moment is a dying trade and cannot offer enough hours.

+1 for everything you said LifeTalk

I see what you're getting at, but this community is crumbling because of greed/stupidity. I've given up on this community a long time ago, but I still show up time to time and try to help (just not in the chatbox). The moderation has been very questionable, you guys allow too many retarded topics/replies and refuse to weed out the retarded sections like Polling Plaza. Too much mind-numbing spam here and not enough content catering to webmasters. btw, cool story brah.

This was an excellent post and directly answered some of the questions I had. I'm still getting used to the site and getting to know members and all of that so the new rules neither affect me or bother me but I was curious about the purpose of the site. I've heard a few different explanations as you mention but its good to have it cleared up.

The more you network, the more you grow. The more you grow, the more you prosper. Whether it be reputation or money you are after.

WJunction rose during the time that warez was on the rise. Now, with all of the automation and the trend dying, in conjunction with the new governmental ploys; we will see WJunction start to cater to legitimate usages.

Everything changes. Some people chose to use the word evolve. Only time will tell.

All and all. People come to WJunction daily, people are always chatting, the site stays online...its a great site.

meh, what a boring read.

hoold it, just kidding ^_^

Thanks for clearing the shits out, I thought WJ's gonna clean up everything warez related, so this clarification helps me in a major way, +1 for you LT.

Thanks for clarifying this Lifetalk,
there has been a lot of talk among WJ users whether WJ is turning
completely legit and whether you guys have been threatened by
outside companies and/or organisations regarding the promotion
of piracy on the site, but thank you for clearing this all up & it was
a very enjoyable read but why in the first place did you guys
ban topic regarding upload for money or free?

Thank you Lifetalk.

On one hand, you say you banned uploading services, because uploaders are associated to warez.

My question is: So are DDL sites and Warez sites (that people have links to below their usernames)
I don't see any reason, to not ban them.

I'm not jealous, of people making money off warez. It's just that, you're saying, you don't want to be linked to warez.

You either completely break all ties with warez, or you don't. I don't know why wj is trying to stay somewhere in between.

Above all, everyone knows. 99.99999999999% files on Filehosts like FSO, FS, WU are illegal files. (warez)
I'm sure they receive more DMCA complaints than websites like WBB.
Ofc, I don't have stats, but it's true.

On one hand, you say you banned uploading services, because uploaders are associated to warez.

My question is: So are DDL sites and Warez sites (that people have links to below their usernames)
I don't see any reason, to not ban them.

I'm not jealous, of people making money off warez. It's just that, you're saying, you don't want to be linked to warez.

You either completely break all ties with warez, or you don't. I don't know why wj is trying to stay somewhere in between.

Above all, everyone knows. 99.99999999999% files on Filehosts like FSO, FS, WU are illegal files. (warez)
I'm sure they receive more DMCA complaints than websites like WBB.
Ofc, I don't have stats, but it's true.

We did not ban paid/free uploading because uploaders are associated with warez. We did that because we did not want a market on WJ that directly traded in buying and selling of copyright infringement services.

However you look at it, the stuff we have not banned does not directly involve trading in copyright infringement.

True, the filehosts get a lot more DMCA notices than probably all the warez hosts combined, but no where on their websites do they mention they exist for warez. They're simply affiliate programs paying you to share your files in a way that is inconvenient to the end-user by default. They profit off the premium sales. Yeah, we all say it's bullshit and that every one of these filehosts transparently and indirectly imply warez, but implication does not matter. It's what's on paper, what's written in actual fact is what counts. So yeah, at the end of the day, they're still affiliate programs.

No one says, no where on WJunction, that WJ does not want to be linked to warez. We're more linked to warez than we can imagine. And even if we did not like it, it's true. WJ caters to a lot of different people, and that includes legit webmasters. So no, WJ's not trying to weed out warez and/or stay in between. The ban is on something very, very specific. Exactly my point - people are using that ban to reason that WJ is weeding out warez, which is not true.

I personally want to thank lifetalk for clearing this out. I hope members will discipline themselves after reading this (including me) and hopefully there will be less flamewar.

But one thing which really bothers me is why disallowing selling of autobot licenses? The product itself is not illegal. Selling of autobots are same as selling of filehosting accounts. The reason the filehosting section is still open due to the fact that no direct illegality exists what so ever. But a person with a reasonable thinking can straight away tell that paying that much for distributing files just encourages piracy and I can with confident tell that almost 95% traffic of these file hosts are pirate traffic. Its a fact, I don't want to prove my self. It is only due this reason that MAFIAA are investing million's dollars to fight against these filehosts and they have a reason to believe.
In short banning just autobots on the excuse of legal trouble and keeping filehosting section open is out of tune and totally absurd.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back