My Story of Excessive Online Usage!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Raptile

The following is written in purpose of sharing my experience being a overly active online individual , and perhaps suggesting members of this community concerning setting your priorities.

I would like to first and foremost note that I should certainly not be accounted as a role mode, but rather as a person who has been on the same path as arguably many individuals reading this topic, whether that be being a webmaster, coder or designer as one of the few usual activities someone on this community of often assumed to be doing.

Admittedly, I've been rather passive concerning the quantity of posts considering the amount of years I've been a member here (5), as I seem to drop by each year on the anniversary of my membership to reminisce and give thanks to all those great friends and mentors whom I've been lucky to cooperate with during my joyful experience.
As I assume a very limited number of members will actually be interested into reading this rather personal, essay if you will, I shall do my best into trying to keep it short, sweet and clearly convey my message.

Perhaps a very cliche thing to say, would be that technology is bound to us; business, friendship, relationship and family wise.
Throughout my online career I've been blessed to have the opportunity to be part of many online projects with other great, skilled and well experienced members of this website, in many areas of online entrepreneurship, for what I am and will always be grateful. Therefore I've been through it all; countless nights with no sleep, slacking in school, fighting with people I care about, spending the majority of my daily time sitting on a computer consequently affecting my own health and many other hardships that came as a result of my excessive usage of the internet.

I was young, keen to learn and gain experience, motivated, helpful and willing to help, do things and favors without really thinking much about it, that is because I was in much need of something new each and every time, meanwhile by the time I had realized how things had turned out to be, I was already the fat, socially deprived, alone, shy and awkward guy.

A wake up call happened about 3 years ago when I nearly failed my senior year at school; not that I was a bad students, I was alert, attentive, but I just did not have the will to study, which certainly affected my life, the online part of it and the real part likewise, it eventually resulted into me not maintaining the same rapports with certain individuals, not being part of all those, big and famous (not really) projects me and my online comrades would often contemplate as I took the decision to take a break from it.

Anyways, long story short, I am now in second year in College, doing just fine and dropping by here every 3-4 months and hanging out for about 10 minutes, I have overcome almost all of those difficulties I had come across a few years ago and feel generally better about myself, the people I hang around with and am enjoying life at its fullest.
It would be safe to say that this humongous online presence of mine has had a huge impact on the previous years of my life and I feel proud to announce that I am happy with my choice, to take time off everything that involved sitting in a computer for the majority of time during the day or night.

As initially explained, this is rather a personal post which was necessary to get out of my chest at a certain point and believe it or not, it is already affecting me into feeling better as far as my online presence goes.

My most sincere, truly heartfelt advice to anyone who is a excessive user of the internet, whether that be owning a online business, aspiring to be a programmer, designer or webmaster, my advice to you is to manage your time and online presence.

That's right, take a break; go ahead and log off from everything that keeps you hooked online, laptops, computers, smartphones, just log off, go and meet your family, see how they're doing, take them out; go to a dinner, have a coffe together with your friends, go out, meet new people and feel excited about life again.

Well, if someone has made it so far I congratulate you reaching this milestone, it was perhaps a bit boring, nevertheless I appreciate your effort and willingness to show interest into reading this piece of my online story, it was definitely not easy for me to write it as I am usually not the sentimental, willing to share my feelings and experiences with the now unknown world out here type of guy, therefore thank you for reading this, please reminisce, reflect and enjoy your life, help others, be nice to people, do positive things.

9 comments
I read this and this really relates a lot to my life. Like you, I was an active member around here. My time online was way more than my time offline. Then I started to relize this and nowadays I am not on the computer as much as I used to be. I am way more active with other things besides the computer.

I also encourage others to take brakes, and realize how much time you spend online, and most of the time, its for nothing, nada, zip!

My most sincere, truly heartfelt advice to anyone who is a excessive user of the internet, whether that be owning a online business, aspiring to be a programmer, designer or webmaster, my advice to you is to manage your time and online presence.

That's right, take a break; go ahead and log off from everything that keeps you hooked online, laptops, computers, smartphones, just log off, go and meet your family, see how they're doing, take them out; go to a dinner, have a coffe together with your friends, go out, meet new people and feel excited about life again.
+1 :handshake:

That was a great read and I'm happy you found your current path in life.
as you I have an online business for the last 15 years, and along the way I found that I'm missing a lot by sitting on the interwebs for times 17 hours a day, yes the interweb is an addictive place.
but along the way I got to truths as you did now that there is life outside the web and that I should participate.

I don't think everyone are getting what your trying to say in your article, as I know people now days can't read more then 1-2 sentences.

its a good article and i recommend every person on wj to read it.

wow this is exactly what is happening to me, I have been sitting in front of the pc doing nothing and just surfing all the time. I dont go out anywhere its been like more than 4 months since i went out to a mall or watched a movie with someone in the cinema ..
I just go out in the morning to the university and come home in the afternoon and sit on the pc till night.
Note: Everything is available on the pc (presentations) so dont take me as i dont study at all...
Other than that i would try your advise and see how it goes for me.
I am highly obliged towards you as you wrote an article relating to nearly everyone whom is a member of this forum
Thankyou

Hey guys, well thank you very much for your amazing feedback, please do take a moment to reflect, believe me your life is way too short for you to spend 10 hours a day sitting on a computer doing nothing productive...

If a online business is your main source of income, I am not suggesting you close it down, however, owners online entrepreneurs nowdays have the great opportunity to do their business even remotely, you can carry on with your daily activities and have everything on your smartphone, but you probably know that.
My point is, there are always ways and options available for you, as long as you're willing to make a change.

Last edited:
I admire your courage to have made this post. I can relate with your story very much. My eye opener though was the breakup of my ex-gf and I. After that I took a break of more or less a year of online usage..
That year was spent on finding myself once more. I neglected a lot of things in my life due to being too focused in my online world. It was mainly the love for money for me that hooked me so much to it..

Tbh, I find it funny how I feel like I am wasting my life away mainly because I see my peers going out, partying, etc.. lol but we should all live our life the way we want to. Balance is the key.

Last edited:
Kudos, Rap. It was a very emotional pitch, i was moved by your story as it relates to me as much as it did, for you.
I was and is, in continuous interaction with the computers. The only difference is, i used to spend a lot of time chatting/surfing/watching movies earlier. But now, i have a lot of serious things to do. I have my own business/hobby that makes me money. It makes me independent and i'm proud of it. I also find time to hangout with my friends & family, as much as i could

And as you already quoted in the OP, Time Management and Self Control is the key. Once you are matured enough, you'll realize the importance of family, money and everything in life :)

Once again, I thank you guys for your extremely positive feedback, I am glad to have other members gone through the same experience as me and overcome those obstacles, this topic became the only reason I login here these days just to see other's experience, so thank you guys for sharing too.

Feeling amazing to read this story , I think it's story of most of guys around here and I strongly believe you have chosen the right path by managing your online and offline life. Moreover, It's motivational for the newbies.

It's really worth to manage your timings and having a self control!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back