Status
Not open for further replies.

G56Ace

Hey guys.
I'm thinking of moving to a different server and I was wondering if I could get an outside opinion.
There first server is my current server and the second one is the planned upgrade server.

Intel Core i7 920 (Current Server)
8GB Ram
HDD: 500 GB 7.200 RPM
Bandwidth: 2000 GB
cPanel Included
Self-Managed
Price: $225/m

Intel Quad Core Xeon X3220 (Planned Upgrade)
8 GB Ram
HDD: 1500 GB SATA II
Bandwidth: 3000 GB
cPanel Included
Managed
Cost $265/m

Does the upgrade seem worth it?

Thanks! :)

16 comments
the managed alone makes it worth it lol lots more hard drive space. are you using all that power? thats a shit ton of ram

Your 'upgrade' is actually a downgrade in terms of CPU power, that Xeon is ~2 years old. Aside from that, the Xeon machine will be server grade hardware (ECC ram, et cetera), whereas the i7 is commodity/consumer grade hardware.

Unless you have a need for the managed service, or the server grade equipment, I would stay.

Well, Intel i7 is better than Xeon xD
But, since they are providing Management Service too, then its worth an upgrade :) (If your not so server dude)
Anyways, even the Bandwidth & Space are good :)
But, Processing power of Xeon is less than i7 xD
So you'll have to compromise on that.

It's worth it for management however the quality between worldstream network and server.lu (used per altuhost) are totally different you should stay away from server.lu in my own opinion.

Well to those saying that Xeon is not as powerful as i7.
There are new Xeons that use the LGA1366 socket.....which means that they are the server versions of the consumer i7.
They have better processing power than the consumer versions as they are built for 24/7 workloads.
The Xeon 55xx series is the LGA1366 I think.

You should find out which series the Xeon is first, then make your decision.
And as said before, you should stay away from server.lu support.

Oh my bad, missed that bit X-D
Thanks for it though..........

.......so yeah, the only "upgrade" is disk space, BW and management.
If it really is server.lu then meh management doesn't count.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back