Status
Not open for further replies.

op3l

hey I think wjunction need create mobile web if I open this site via mobile so hard because many ads, CMIIW.

I hope wjunction can create mobile version for this forum. thanks.

7 comments
Their are about 10 of these mobile suggestions already. Here's the history.
For about 2 years the staff had the opinion it wasn't needed although at this stage not near as many had smartphones. I pushed strongly for a mobile theme at this stage but the staff at the time were busy with other things and though for the amount that would use a mobile theme it wasn't worth the effort coding it.
Later as the number of people browsing on mobile devices increased a mobile theme was started which was based around the vBulletin script WJ is using.
As most now know vBulletin 3 which WJ is using is no longer supported and staff are (were) looking at converting to IPB although I've no idea what type of timeframe is on this. As IPB has it's own mobile theme and particularly IPB 3.2 which was released yesterday which and has a vastly improved mobile theme I'm guessing the vBulletin mobile version is shelved in favor of waiting for the included IPB mobile theme.

I've been here since Jan of 2008. I've been asking for a mobile skin every year (Christmas present?). A mobile skin that recognizes User Agent has been requested so many times. Maybe none of the staff have smartphones and they don't see the benefit? who knows.

Smartphones for the first time in history has sold MORE then computers (laptops + desktop combined) in 2011. In 2016 it's project that 1 Billion smartphones will be sold (Android, iOS, Blackberry, etc...)

If WJ had a mobile skin my post count would be over 9,000! (No kidding). I'm very very often on the road or at school or something.

BTW: http://www.wjunction.com/sitemap/ is completely useless for touch screens. It's really more for SEO. I also blame vBulletin in this regard, they really haven't been the leaders when it comes to Mobile User Agent-driven skins. That's one of the reasons it's hard to implement in WJ.

Anyway... 2012. WJ goes mobile (and maybe IPB has Mr. Happy suggested? That'd be cool)

Anyway... 2012. WJ goes mobile (and maybe IPB has Mr. Happy suggested? That'd be cool)

Sorry, the IPB idea was shelved too since I did the above reply. To be honest it's one of those things now that even if I'm told it will be added or I see more screenshots I won't pay any attention until I've seen it live. It reminds me of a Politician before an election.

Sorry, the IPB idea was shelved too since I did the above reply. To be honest it's one of those things now that even if I'm told it will be added or I see more screenshots I won't pay any attention until I've seen it live. It reminds me of a Politician before an election.

Truthfully content is content. Converting to IPB just so someone can enable a mobile skin isn't the best idea to do it for lol... although I don't know the specifics, I just returned to WJ after some time.

I think with the vast amount of resources we have here, there's gotta be somehow we can find get or make a simple skin (all it has to do is view and reply/start topics) that will fill our needs.

If not, WJ goes mobile 2013 (It really is like starting a political campaign! lol)

IPB to vB conversion will lose members. Around 25% of them. Trust me, I've been through over 6 forums and they've had to close down (so more or less experience is my proof behind it).

I don't see the big issue, I see over 100+ iPhone related vB based forums with their mobile skin on and with even chat working, puzzles me how WJ can't do the same lol

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back