Megaupload Raid ‘Destroyed’ (Way) More Than 10,000,000 Legal Files

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thrill

Banned
Banned
New research from Boston’s Northeastern University shows that with the shutdown of Megaupload, the U.S. Government took down at least 10.75 million legitimate files. The researchers examined the percentage of legal and copyright-infringing content on six file-hosting services. While infringing content outnumbers legitimate files on all sites, the volume of non-infringing content casts doubt on the drastic seizure that took place early last year.

More: TorrentFreak

Last edited:
10 comments
That number is highly underestimated. Regular C partition, without working files, can contain quarter of a million of files. And all that in just 50GB

NOlbNF8.png

What a load of bullshit.... they took a sample of only 1000 files and found 4.3% legal. That's only 43 files they found which were legal. How can they possibly think that 43 is a big enough number to scale accurately up to 10.75 million.

I've no doubt legal files were hosted on Megaupload but I could do a survey of this size in about an hour. I really hope they didn't spend a lot of time and money on this research.

The most valueble ones are copyrighted, specially the rare material, less interesting to a big number of persons
The loss was huge
There's still many data that you will never be able to find again...

I wonder, what are these so called legal files!

That number is highly underestimated. Regular C partition, without working files, can contain quarter of a million of files. And all that in just 50GB

NOlbNF8.png

Yes, but one cannot define the importance of files according to their file size. In your same example, losing files on C drive is more lethal than losing files in any other drives.

AMAZON....ptoh! dont even mention that name to me... Taxes are way better. Megaupload was simple and had been there since eh! 2000 and something and Clouds where still a no go zone for they were still being set aloft.
Even now I wont store my stuff on anything hosted in the states coz NSA is busy crapping averything you keep there files scripts contacts, notes everything. Id rather hide them elsewhere... Russia,Sweden and Singapore etc

Last edited:
Megaupload was the biggest and most userfriendly filehost,so it was good for backups.
I totally agree with that! Even I had some files there!
And everything started at exactly the same time when a lot of file sharing services begun to pay their users per thousands of downloads... than imediately all the sites stoped from paying their users for their files being downloaded...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back