LiveW Released! (Complete OS for warez users)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hyperz

Veteran
307nbll.png

Description:

LiveW is a Linux OS based on openSUSE (11.1 atm) which is targeted at warez users. It includes a range of programs and tools for downloading, running and viewing warez. It also has many things pre-installed and configured which you normally don't find in Linux distros such as Ubuntu, openSUSE, etc including Flash, PlayOnLinux, Wine, lots of codecs, Microsoft core fonts, working and pre-configured sub-pixel font rendering for LCD monitors etc. You don't have to remove Windows or install it in order to use, you can just boot from the CD (Live CD). Though if you like you can still easily install it to your harddrive after you booted the CD, and I would recommend doing so. Another thing worth noting is: no viruses, trojans, keyloggers, BSOD's whatsoever! However, you can still get Rick Roll'd.

Download Mirrors (Current version: 0.0.3 ALPHA):

More mirrors are welcome! If you uploaded the ISO to your server/VPS or a file host please share the link(s) in this topic, thanks :).

Changes since the last version:

• Changed Firefox default theme to one that looks more like the Windows version.
  • Fixed issue in Firefox where it would not select the correct program for opening files.
  • Added some Firefox 'Scene Bookmarks' (More will be added later)
  • Pre-installed Firefox add-ons: AdBlock Plus, GreaseMonkey, KDST, Im4ge, IC Tools.
  • Added Ndiswrapper package.
  • Some other small config tweaks here and there.
This the last ALPHA release.

Known Issues:

• In some cases the splash screen doesn't show while booting.
  • Sometimes the system reverts to the default openSUSE theme. If this should happen you can easliy change it again by going to Computer > Control Center > Appearance and changing the theme to LiveW 0.1.
  • Some of the openSUSE art, branding and icons hasn't been replace yet.
  • This is an ALPHA release, other issues and bugs should be expected.
Things not present yet that will be in the Final version:

• Additional Firefox Add-ons, Bookmarks and Plugins.
  • Homebrew scene apps and some custom programs by me (for warez users).
  • A Peer-2-Peer client.
  • Simple CompizConfig Settings Manager.
  • Some other stuff which I can't think of now.

Minimum system requirements:
- Single core AMD Athlon64 or 64 bit Pentium 4 processor
- 256MB RAM, 512MB is highly recommended
- 3GB HDD (for installation)

I would personally also recommend a recent ATI or nVidia card.

License:
Who the hell cares?

Some quick screenshots:
[slide]http://i50.tinypic.com/2u41yth.png[/slide]

[slide]http://i49.tinypic.com/206jzmp.png[/slide]

[slide]http://i50.tinypic.com/qo9hly.png[/slide]

[slide]http://i47.tinypic.com/2ebbxxh.png[/slide]

[slide]http://i48.tinypic.com/1zgx4so.png[/slide]

[slide]http://i48.tinypic.com/11kgk7d.png[/slide]

Notice: Default user/root password is linux
Notice: Use at your own risk! This is ALPHA software.
Notice: Remember that you need to install your graphics card drivers for better performance

Remember:
This is not MY project, this is everbody's project! B-)
Share it, spread the word and contribute where possible!
I hope you enjoy it as much as I did developing it. Peace.

Fingerprint (to help verify a successful/not corrupted download):
Code:
MD5: 9a963a3cc83e01c47b4d936002b96a87
SHA1: 6346d33dce4c319eaee8371a13358219f715af85

445 comments
Gnome for now, I prefer KDE but Gnome is more user friendly and Ubuntu users will be used to the environment. So if you suggest a program please keep it in mind, needs to be Gnome/GTK apps. MPlayer will most likely be added.

What sort of GPU support does openSUSE have? I always seem to have issues getting graphics acceleration or dual screen to work currently i'm rocking an nVidia 6800GT.

What sort of GPU support does openSUSE have? I always seem to have issues getting graphics acceleration or dual screen to work currently i'm rocking an nVidia 6800GT.

Supports both ATi and nVidia, nVidia tends to have better Linux drivers. I never had GPU problems under SUSE (using ATi). Gnome supports dual-screen setups

also why only 64-bit ?
what about users with 32 bit processors

Because I am not a one man army :p. Simply put, to much work to create different versions. Besides, those still having a 32-bit CPU are in need of an upgrade.

Well Hyperz, if you are willing to put it on torrents, only give the torrent file to one person and let them dl off of you using a seedbox. Then they give it to other seedbox users. Then we distribute it, so that there is a base of a few high speed seedbox users.
Helps to spread, and we can advertise it all over the place.......the Warez OS :D

another suggestion, pre install FF with WJ as the home page. Have bookmarks for the larger warez sites.

Seems like an awesome idea.

another suggestion, pre install FF with WJ as the home page. Have bookmarks for the larger warez sites.

Seems like an awesome idea.

WJ isn't useful for the average leecher. I think Elj's idea is better, have an offline startpage with links to useful sites and maybe a google custom search thing like the default FF startpage.

But I'll have to redo a bunch of work, yesterday my VM harddrive corrupted for no reason :(.

this looks really interesting, I got no suggestion as I haven't worked much with Linux but none the less good work here!

If you can make it user friendly with msn, aim client, ftp, unraring program type of stuff I'd use it.

Linux confuses me 100% because it hard to install stuff.

DEB packages solves this problem.
----

Anyway, I think you should also add a link checker and a post manager or some shit like that. Would help out with forum sites.

WJ isn't useful for the average leecher. I think Elj's idea is better, have an offline startpage with links to useful sites and maybe a google custom search thing like the default FF startpage.

But I'll have to redo a bunch of work, yesterday my VM harddrive corrupted for no reason :(.

I could design the page if you want. Give me a list of useful sites

you can get a great link checker addon for firefox
it checks links from all the most popular file hosts and then some.

Thanks for the suggestions people.

Tiny update:

I've decided to start over with this because I wasn't happy with the direction it was going. I guess I was testing/exploring to many things and the whole thing just started to feel like a pile of badly organized software. That and something was terribly wrong with a GTK2 theme engine which caused the theme I was trying to put together look like Windows 98, lol. Oh well, we have time enough :).

I'm also not sure whether it is a good idea to make snapshots available (as in ISO's of the current progress which do work but do not reflect at all what the end result will be).

nah man. stuff like that is expected, thats how it turns into a work of art, and not a "pile-o-junk thrown together" :) Starting over shows you give a fuck imo.

Would be great to see your progress. Pictures are the best illustration :)

I've been thinking about making some recordings to place on youtube instead of pictures. But again, what would be seen in the video wouldn't be what the final thing would look like (especially the Theme, would be the default SUSE one still). And possibly make users go "Meh... -.-". I dunno, I'll record it when I rebuild an ISO file.

Another small update. Just finished pre-configuring the font rendering.
A lot of people always complain about fonts and text in Linux saying
it looks shit compared to windows. Well, I think I got them near perfect :).
I would even go as far as saying the fonts look better than on a default *buntu install.

34istc2.png

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back