JANUARY 18: Web Goes on Strike!

Status
Not open for further replies.

CuraHack

Banned
Banned
time-to-strike-header.png

On Jan 24th, Congress will vote to pass internet censorship in the Senate, even though the vast majority of Americans are opposed. We need to kill the bill - PIPA in the Senate and SOPA in the House - to protect our rights to free speech, privacy, and prosperity. We need internet companies to follow Reddit's lead and stand up for the web, as we internet users are doing every day.

On Jan. 18th there is going to be an all-out strike on the internet. Websites across the internet are going dark in protest of the internet censorship bills in Congress, SOPA and PIPA.

wMu5Y.jpg

Some of the biggest sites in the world are participating: Reddit, Mozilla. And some others may join (e.g. a leading micro-blogging platform and a popular collaboratively-written encyclopedia), but they need a nudge. If we can get them to join this will be EPIC.

How can you help? In two ways.

1. You can sign the petition to ask for other websites to join the strike (link)
2. Or if you own a website yourself join the strike by taking your site offline that day, or put like a banner/popup, or whatever! Let people know by signing up here!

I personally urge you all to join the movement, I myself have signed up to join the strike on my website(s ).

UPDATE: BoingBoing.net will also join the strike! =)
UPDATE: In an online statement, B. Obama disapproves #SOPA

Please let us know if you are willing to join the cause by replying to this thread!

See this thread for code you can add to your site for this day!

pIUUHt6.png
Code: WJ-EASTER-WOOO-2431JA​

Last edited:
116 comments
Credit for Reddit for the original idea. Wikipedia is also currently mulling over involvement in the January 18th action.

I think WJ serves as a communication media for webmasters, thus shouldn't go offline, however they could put a ANTI-SOPA or CENSORED banner.

Again, I urge other webmasters to share their plans for that day, share scripts/gfx/banners or whatever you put on your site that day!

No but WJ can be used to coordinate the strike, it's the perfect tool to coordinate, seeing how many member here own sites which the US govt. is against...

If Google and Facebook go offline, that would be the most biggest success in this, and probably the biggest awakening.
Yea not really that effective unless something huge goes down aswell. To be a guaranteed success Twitter, Facebook, Wikipedia and Google all have to go down. It would be so fucking epic.

I completely forgot on Twitter :facepalm: and Wikipedia :facepalm::facepalm:

Yeah, I think internet is taking it's most critical spin ever, and if biggest just stand aside, they'll get such a slap in their faces, they'll go down for different reasons.

They don't have to go down, as long as they put up a big banner/pop-up or something in that sense so that people will be educated, it would also do good! ;)

REMINDER:
For those who are joining the strike, make sure to sign up in the link in the first post, so that your site will get counted!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back