Status
Not open for further replies.

Sp32

I know there are countless threads similar to this but what I am asking is have you used both of these pieces of software for a decent amount of time?

I have and I just want to say I loved vBulletin 3 but disliked vBulletin 4 so I thought I'd try IPB and I wasn't too sure about it at first, I kinda grew to liking it but it's resources are so limited and it's control system just isn't as good as vBulletin. So for this I am staying with vBulletin, would just like to give people a heads up if they are thinking of switching to IPB; I personally wouldn't.

Last edited:
10 comments
Hmm very long time ago i was using phpbb because it had a crazy support, then changed to VB. FOR ME VB is the best software out there even for SEO i find it very powerful!! i have used IPB too but never could compare them together !!!
So as i said from my expiriences VB is the perfect software

A lot of people hate vBulletin, but I just got used to it. I've used it since around 3.6ish version, and today I can do pretty much everything I need to have on my forum.

If I spent more time with phpBB or IPB, I'd probably say phpBB/IPB ftw. So there's no "this script is good" or "this one sucks".

^^ I agree with Jason. I've been using phpBB for two years,and now I can do about anything I want with it. so for me it's the best.

I've used all a lot of different scripts over the years. I started using IPB 2.3 and vB 3.7 just before it moved to 3.8. Then ran a phpbb warez site for a while which looking back was great as at the time phpbb had great support and getting help making custom modifications to your site was easy. Not like the mass produced modifications now where every site looks the same. Then used vb3 on another project. That was different as mods were a lot easier to import and the script was easier to update due to the hook points it had over say phpbb or the IPB2.3. My first experiences with vb4 were with CyberWarez.info where I did some custom work for them. Then moved onto IPB3 series. It was at 3.1 before I started using it and didn't really use the 3.0 much when it first came out.

Their is one site I worked on that never upgraded which is still using IPB 2.3 as it's heavily modified and while it didn't initially have issues in not upgrading it is now.

Why the history lesson? Well it's to show that scripts change and develop with time and you naturally move forward whatever the script. Trying to fight this natural flow and stick with an older outdated script for whatever reason will only lead to complications in the future.

vB and IP.Board both are resources eater software. both required many things for installation.

peoples are thinking about SEO but not thinking about Hosting and SERVERS expensive for this types of software running specially if the site are active and busy.

vB and IP.Board both are resources eater software. both required many things for installation.

peoples are thinking about SEO but not thinking about Hosting and SERVERS expensive for this types of software running specially if the site are active and busy.
Almost all scripts are like that though. Take Wordpress for example is a huge resource hog but you can easily change a few things to make it more efficient like Wordpress cache that everyone uses.

Same thing goes for vb and ipb. IPB particularly has loads of settings you can modify to optimize it but most people don't know about these and leave it on the default.

I started with phpbb when i was 14 years old and after using it for 1year, i decided to use IPB and vbulletin.

if u want to learn something then u should use phpbb first.All the forum software has its advantage and disadvantage.

If u have desire to learn, then you will like all forum software..

My fav is vbulletin 4, because its very easy to use and code..

Hmm, interesting thoughts.

I originally started on a phpBB forum but found it too complicated (about 5 years ago). Then I switched over to vBulletin and found it fairly easy to use, I learnt a bit doing phpBB stuff. I also tried SMF but didn't like the amount of modifications or styles it had. I never tried IPB until a while back but I guess it is because how much I know about vBulletin and my experiences with it that make me want to stay with it. I didn't find any nice styles for IPB which I felt content with so I guess that was another thing I disliked. It all felt out of my comfort zone.

EDIT: The server wont be expensive unless you're offshore and if you are it's more than likely because you're doing something you shouldn't. Servers from Canada, USA & UK are fairly cheap. I have a VPS with 1GB RAM and decent storage/bandwidth which is costing me 7$ a month.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back