How to download from XDCC and get blazing fast downloads

Status
Not open for further replies.

mahjong

After a lot of file hosting site disappeared into the white, some of you might be in trouble regarding where to download from his/her latest movie/tv shows.
There are torrents and emule, usenet, or maybe dc++, but sometimes it is plain complicated... in torrents, you have to keep a ratio, public torrents are monitored by riaa and whoknows by whom. Emule/edk - you should keep a ratio there too, and can be really slow if you are behind a router. The same problem with dc++.

So where should we go? There is a platform old as hell, called irc, which allows sending files. Also there are Good Guy warez sharing channels, which are sharing files with mega/gigabit servers. It is really easy and fast to download from those servers, let's see how can you do it in practice.

In this tutorial you will need only two programs: Mozilla Firefox and an addon called chatzilla. Although you could use other irc clients too (like mirc, xchat), i won't go into that deep into details (at least for now). This configuration simply works, so why not give it a try. Also it is platform independent, firefox/iceweasel runs on most systems.

1. So, for starter you need to install firefox. Here is the download link for the latest versions (in different languages and for different platforms):
Code:
http://www.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/all.html
On linux systems, most probably you could install it from command line with apt-get/yum/etc (on debian it is called iceweasel)...

2. Next step is to install the addon called chatzilla.
a) Open this url in Firefox:
Code:
https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/chatzilla/
b) Click on the green button "Add to firefox"

0b3bd551b994bcba55a3343f2fea63f2.jpg

c) Install then restart firefox

22085c9217b56ccc61d57f26d73d20ca.jpg

3. Now, we are going to set some things up in chatzilla. Click on
a) Firefox dropdown menu in the left corner, after that click on chatzilla.
OR
b) (If you have upper menu) Tools -> Chatzilla

80533950ac3acef3ecb054ca7f771a3b.jpg

4. In chatzilla, go to the dropdown menu Chatzilla -> Preferences. Change the Nickname on the General tab to something unique. You also should change the description, although it is not a must.

12100c9e4de66887e5f5b566536ec904.jpg

Change to the DCC tab, and browse your own download folder if you want to change the default.

1febe150c58850ce42d7cfacac023ed8.jpg

5. Now, there are quite a few search engines that can help in finding files. These search engines are called "xdcc search engine", this is the way you should google them. I will introduce you one of them (i think the best one):

Code:
http://www.xdccfinder.com

Open the page and search for something. I will search for Avatar.

c062b87269db7702dfbbecc54a704567.jpg

As you can see i found a good release (google release details if you are unsure of the spoken language). I will click on the number in the "Pack" column.

d44dc660fb010a0f55508cfd5e0cf01b.jpg

Chatzilla connects to the network and channel. Now you only have to copy the Download command to chatzilla message, and send it to the server.

b5986c1f7838874a82671d66bec8fef8.jpg

Most probably you will get a message, to accept file transfer (sometimes, like at my first try, the bot is offline. Also it can be full too, so you have to wait for open slots, or try another release/bot). Scroll a little bit up to stop the messages flooding, and click accept.

e65eec0e26d1066148d85c01d6a71b44.jpg

Choose the location to save the file, and you are all good. Just wait till it finishes. Usually downloads are really fast. Only bad thing that most of the new releases are in tar format, so you have to unpack it after download (with 7-zip for example).

396db43661a86946e4cc099b778e9498.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back