Has anyone figure out a way to play videos smoothly via Remote Desktop Connection?

Status
Not open for further replies.

LEVAC109

Hi, guys. I've been looking for a way to play videos without a third party application on remote desktop. My scenario is to remote to Windows 2008 R2 SP1 server from a Windows 8.1 pc. I just updated my server's RDP version to 8.1, same as my pc's version. I'm still having issues playing videos on it. Some people probably haven't know that you can smooth play videos in a remote server. I can watch youtube videos or play mkv files in the server if I connect to the server using Splashtop software. It feels very smooth, no lag - though my average ping is between 40-60ms. But I don't like Splashtop. I don't want to keep switching two application to do the same thing. So... anyone? I've looked into RemoteFX but I do not wish to make a virtual machine and split up resources or pay more $ for extra licenses I probably won't need.

3 comments
If you want to watch videos FROM the rdp, you should just setup a plex server on it. If you want to watch the shit ON the rdp without lag, I will stay in this thread to see if this is remotely possible, pun intended.

If you want to watch videos FROM the rdp, you should just setup a plex server on it. If you want to watch the shit ON the rdp without lag, I will stay in this thread to see if this is remotely possible, pun intended.
Well, like I said it's already possible to watch without lag remotely but using a third party application like Splashtop. It's my 2nd best choice for remote desktop software besides Microsoft's own version but it doesn't quite work as "natively" as the RDC. That's why I'm looking for a way to do this without using another software. Oh, it's also easily possible if you're remoting to a Windows VPS powered by Hyper-V with RemoteFX enabled. You'll be able to watch videos and play games remotely.

it's really question problem is i'm looking for good answers too , so i'm looking at this thread for good answers ! :) :wacko:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back