Google now taking HTTPS into account when ranking sites....

Status
Not open for further replies.

XCOLVE

My follow up question to the topic would be, is it possible to register a ssl certificate with anonymous information? Many sites out there use anon services to hide the whois information of person behind a website, but if you can't hide whois on the ssl certificate what's the point of hiding on the whois?

I really don't like this approach by google, i am all for a secure web but this is like blackmailing people and forcing them to https sites that might not even have anything of value even if it was un-secure.

Thoughs, ideas?

Last edited:
9 comments
Security over the web is one of the main concerns now days and I think google understands that and navigating the business according to that, if SSL makes the users "feel" more secure then sure why not promote the more "secured" sites.

Also don't forget that google is a public company and they might see a new way to generate a new money flow, with this they will probably buy a few companies (they might already) who provide these kind of certs and dominate the market.

It's simple, say a site will rank higher with a SSL and on the next day literally you will have millions of sites buying SSL certs, you will just need to be the one who sells them :)

Also with the simple SSL cert you can just throw bogus info and still hide behind the whois guard.

Truth is I do like this approach by google, time will tell where it's heading BUT yes I like the "more secure internet idea".

Also with the simple SSL cert you can just throw bogus info and still hide behind the whois guard.

I didn't know this was possible, thanks for the information. I also agree that securing the web is essential as were using it more and more and it's pretty obvious that the current form it's pretty much completely un-secure and that's the reason usa has spent billions on building that mega data center to store all metadata from everyone as it's so easily collected.

I just didn't like it because i was under the impression that buying a ssl certificate you would have to specify your real life information on the certificate. I guess its time to get encrypted

No search engine will give priority to SSL certification sites that is more secure to http. SE gives priority to that kind of site that using secure socket layer.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back