Facebook down earlier today; The Hunger Games to blame?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ShareShiz

Banned
Banned
Facebook down earlier today; The Hunger Games to blame?
By John Callaham

5viXH.jpg

Facebook users experienced some down time earlier this afternoon when they tried to visit the site. As reported by News.com, The problems started after 1 pm Eastern time when Facebook.com simply would not load at all on PCs. The site later came back to life after about 15 minutes but users still experienced slow downs in loading the site for a few more minutes.

One possible reason for the slow down was the launch, at the exact same time, of a promotion for the upcoming movie The Hunger Games. Lots of media sites launched contests to give away tickets to the world premiere of the highly anticipated film and some of those contests used Facebook pages in order to sign up people to win those tickets.

It's more than possible that the legion of Hunger Games book fans flooded Facebook when the sweepstates were first announced via Twitter and caused the brief slowdown for the entire site.

The downtime for Facebook comes the day after the company announced its plans to launch a public stock offering. It also revealed that it had 845 million monthly active users, over $3 billion in annual revenues and $1 billion in annual profits.

11 comments
really ?? i've been on a chat with my friend at that time and no lag/downtime at all
in what kind of pc(s) they try to ?
why not including some "technical" prove like pinging or traceroute,isitdownforme.., etc...
or is it down only for neowin's office

When facebook was down, all the lights in my apartment went off too. I think they're hacking both the website and the electricity at the same time.

I seriously doubt this is the reason. In fact I'd be amazed if it was.

Yesterday Facebook rolled out a new photo viewing page to users where the comments are on the right (copying Google+) so you don't have to scroll down to see the comments. This makes people more likely to comment and engage which means more traffic, more time on site and more money.

This is just one example of code update they roll out all the time and often when they roll out code changes it affects the sites preformance for a few minutes. That's what happened about a week ago when people though Facebook was being DOSed by the group Anonymous but in fact it was just a code push out. Remember sites like Facebook don't go down for maintenance or updates so any updates affect the sites users during the upgrade process.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back