Status
Not open for further replies.

cvrle77

What's the point of them?
Someone scammed you? PM mods or admins, they will deal with the scammer, and ban him accordingly, or ask him for refund, in case they decide there's a room for that.

1. If person is banned for scamming, there is no need to warn anyone, he won't show up here, under the same nickname.
2. If person refunded you, then, he didn't scammed you.

Point should be, that anyone is innocent until proven otherwise.
With scam threads, people are loosing respect they've earned, and threads like that are damaging them, in case they aren't guilty.
That is irreversible, and mods, admins, should take more care about such cases, than allowing random thread creations about so called 'scams'.

And another time. Report a person who you think that scammed you to mods/admins. If there's any reasonable doubt, their selling thread should be closed, without any notifications visible in public. If it is proven that such person is guilty, mod knows the drill: either try to help person to refund, or ban, and delete thread. But in case person is not guilty, this will prevent throwing a mud on person that is clean.

By allowing users to post 'scam' threads, seller is already guilty, in eyes of majority. And in fact such threads raise other issues, like racism and similar.

Unless there are facts, in forms of screenshots of chat logs, bank statements, or whatever that can prove scam undoubtedly, that crap should not be allowed.

If you don't have anything smart to add, or to discuss on this matter, please, just read the thread, and watch what will others respond.

No flame, and no spam, PLEASE!

Oh, and BTW, those 'scam' threads are ruining WJ name. It looks like WJ is a place for massive gathering of scammers. Another reason, to not allow such threads.

Last edited:
10 comments
Point to post topics about scamers is that somebody from another forum or website can google scammer paypal ID or nickname and find something, this can safe somebody $.

Partially agree with the thread.
A notification about the user who has scammed (after being confirmed by Staff of wJunction) could be helpful sometimes in dealing further with the user.

I agree with the part that one should not post a public thread against someone until proven. They must resolve the case with the staff

well , i think that have been discussed before :
maybe there should be a section called FIB (or whatever) where only topic started and mods can see the topic and if the proof is valid the topic is moved into public or there is some kinda sticky topic with the scammers names and information .
i think this will reduce the spam and the wrong use of the "Scammer" word.

After submitting proofs to mods, they can always make a topic, posting all proofs, and closing that topic, to prevent spam, so everyone can see that person - scammer in open. Even making a sticky topic, combining all such topics, closed for not wanted comments.

yeah i agree with you & your 2nd point...
if anybody opens scam threads! than there will be spamy posts & unless posts

This is just what WJ is. People cry scam all the time. It's funny when somebody orders a server and calls scam if it is not setup in 15 min lol It's one of the few English words they know. When some of those people leave, it will die down.

There are 2 sides in this

We have all seen when some seller lets say lost power or pc broke.
Seller was offline for 12-24 hours and already there are threads popping up that seller scammed me.

All scam reports should be dealt with extreme privacy.
After the member has been proven to be guilty then staff should notify rest of us.

BUT...

Then again if there is a somewhat trusted member doing some sales and decides to scam then we would be in deep shit.
Think about it.
Member A scammed member B.
Member B reports it to staff.
Meanwhile member A can continue scamming as much members as possible.
Making public thread about it can prevent that.

So yeah its not as simple as you think.

Yes, I agree with what Cooper said and also what OP said. All true and valid points in this matter. But those are like something that happen around the middle of a movie. We need something to boost these ideas, to initiate the plan. I have some ideas how to initiate the plan.

I think WJ should have some of the following features, if not all:

Seller rating (like on eBay) -- This will help customer see if seller is trustful at glance or not. And of course, with commetable new page when clicking on that rating button like on eBay.

People say, this can be abused! But the innocent will always top back the red reps sooner or later. I believe in that way.

Hall of Shame (HOS) -- A list of usernames that ever scammed other members on WJ with website name etc. Of course, these scammers will be well proven that they're scammers. ie. Like below

ScammerOne (TheBadHosting.com) - thread1 | thread2 | thread3 [Status: Perm banned]
ScammerTwo (TheWorstHosting.com) - thread1 | thread2 | thread3 [Status: Perm banned]

So this way, even if people do a quick search on google about those domains, WJ will be of a helpful site for them and they'll also get to read those proving threads about their guiltiness.

Private forum -- Like soft2050 said. Create a new vB mod, that allows users to create something like "File a suit" or something. The member being accused will be notified and requested to make replies in that thread. That thread should be only visible by Complainer, accused person, staff. Then if he's proven guilty, do what you staff normally do to scammers.

Of course, when creating such thread, there should be several fields that need to be filed first in order to create (this will prevent mass creation of such thread for weak reasons).

ie.

Complained by :
Accused to :
Category :
Reason :
Date :
Explanation :
Proofs :
Witnesses (if available) :

-- MUST HAVE OCCURRED ON WJ -- etc
and some agreement button along there before creating, etc.

Grr, so I wrote too much but I'm so much into preventing scams and I hate false alarms as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back