Status
Not open for further replies.
14 comments
Alright i don't use windows but you can convert videos from the cli in linux using ffmpeg i do it fairly regularly works well

For some examples
Code:
http://www.catswhocode.com/blog/19-ffmpeg-commands-for-all-needsp
Obviously you need to do aptitude install ffmpeg

Last edited:
Hang on... Why convert to flv? That's so 2005.

You can do pretty much everything with avi that you can do with flv so why do you need to downgrade? Everyone is slowly dropping support for Flash. OK we all know Apple and the late Steve Jobs didn't support Flash but now even Adobe have dropped support for Flash on Mobile and Tablets. Soon it will be a thing you hear about in museums. Why would you convert anything to flv?

Can you tell us so we can tell you how to achieve the same thing with modern supported technology?

To Mr Happy (Who always remains happy)

Because suppose he wants to go somewhere and he has only his usb stick that suppose can only carry 5gb of data he need to decrease the size of the videos so that he can save as much as possible if he doesnt then he could only save some
the main point is that flv saves space :D

That's one of the worst formats you can convert a video to to compress it. Their are far better ways of compressing.

Although.... a USB Key? That's like 2006 so at least they'd be of the same vintage.

I need to convert videos because of JWplayer,- that player supports only flash and mp4. Im using TotalVideoConverter for windows, pretty good app. Thanks guys (y)

That's one of the worst formats you can convert a video to to compress it. Their are far better ways of compressing.

Although.... a USB Key? That's like 2006 so at least they'd be of the same vintage.

Um... Because every computer has a card reader >.>

Everyone still uses USB's Happy, Don't know what planet you're on ._.

Last edited:
Hi!

I recommend you using ffmpeg (command line) or megui (or handbrake). Use x264 video encoding with mp4 format and aac (or better aac+) sound. That will give you a really decent quality (like those 300mb movies some encoder creates on warez boards - like shaanig) with a JWplayer playable format. There are a ton of tutorials online, so just google them.

Have fun.

Last edited:
I have found winavi all-in-one convertor to be the fastest I have ever used.

I can convert a 1hr 30min movie from avi/mkv to flv in 4 minutes.

The same movies to dvd in 2-3 minutes changing the audio to AC3.

I am sure the processor and hard drive speed will make a big difference in time but thes conversions used to take 10-28 minutes with most of the others.

Plus it does batch converting.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back