Status
Not open for further replies.

FSL

Ok, so if your warez website or forum is hosted in a country where there is no copyright laws, i.e, they dont care and you live in USA, i.e, SOPA and ACTA shit! Can you still get in trouble?

A simple yes/no would be appreciated...:P

12 comments
if you comply with dmca then your fine but if you was to ignore and think they wont find you then they will take further action

example warez-bb still around and they comply with dmca and not shutdown yet

Yes.
I dis obeyed Google. I dis obeyed Movie Director Authority, I dis obeyed Whole lawyers.
-I know they law sue on me. I know google made a RED Banner on my site Put (Malware). I know some people like to kill me.

BUT I DON'T CARE. MY DC DON'T CARE. MY HOSTER DON'T CARE. I'M HAPPY :)

As nobody has answered the question in relation to the nature of copyright laws and there jurisdiction, I will have a go.

People are often under the illusion that just because you host your server in a country with weak or little copyright law, that somehow makes you immune to prosecution. It does not.

The only benefit to hosting in a foreign country, is that it will be harder for those who might want to take action, to find you. And even when they do find you, they may have to apply to court in that country, in order to obtain your information.

Lets use the US as an example. Once they have that information, they will have no problem coming after you. Obviously, it is much easier if you actually live in the US. This is especially true if your website was accessible within the US and this will likely be their main argument with regard to why you should be charged. It is the reason alot of filehosts, such as uploaded.to, have cut of access to American users.

These days, they have also been using ownership of domain names as a way of enforcing their jurisdiction. Indeed, owning a .com, .net or .org TLD could land you in trouble and it has done so in the past. It it one of the primary arguments in the case against Richard O'Dwyer, the British student facing extradition to the US for his role in tvshack.net.

Yes the laws of the country you host in are important, but it does not mean that, depending on how much of a threat the US see you as, they won't come after you. A change of TLD and a review of restrictions for US visitors are two of the best options you can do these days if you are really worried about what the future may hold in store for you.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back