Status
Not open for further replies.

ChemicalX

https://youtube.com/watch?v=ux8e4UpDpR0

jfYHFh7.jpg

Chatbox was lagging way too much when the quiz was going on. Kindly fix this, if possible.

Thanks!​

Last edited:
18 comments
The data is written to a sql server and probz in the same db as the forums.

So it is bound to lag when there are so many queries sent at once.

Guys why don't you get the Quizzes going on an IRC that way it's in real-time and won't use so much of the server by creating it in freenode or whatever

*cough*html5 websockets*cough*

^I know that's a terrible suggestion, We were supposed to be getting a mobile skin and that has not happened i doubt we would get a recoded shoutbox using fancy modern technologies.

Not much else you can do about this unfortunately.

Last edited:
Guys why don't you get the Quizzes going on an IRC that way it's in real-time and won't use so much of the server by creating it in freenode or whatever
The ultimate idea of conducting quiz is to bring our members together and be active again. + learn a few stuffs.
So a separate channel wouldn't do much to WJ.

*cough*html5 websockets*cough*

^I know that's a terrible suggestion, We were supposed to be getting a mobile skin and that has not happened i doubt we would get a recoded shoutbox using fancy modern technologies.

Not much else you can do about this unfortunately.

:/

TBH its the plugin in general, Were on vBulliten 3.x.x

The plugin is possibly years old & out dated, We have a lot of people on the forum, Baraka, K3V, Exel, JmZ im sure one of you guys could clearly look into the issue,

Its laggy even when WJ is dead takes me nearly 8 seconds to see a refreshed shout.

The plugin is possibly years old & out dated, We have a lot of people on the forum, Baraka, K3V, Exel, JmZ im sure one of you guys could clearly look into the issue,

Its laggy even when WJ is dead takes me nearly 8 seconds to see a refreshed shout.

OMG THIS IS TOO FUNNY
blame the forum software entirely omfg
not the badly coded plugin

oh wait you redeem yourself here

Being on vB 3.x.x has NOTHING to do with it, it's just the shitty shoutbox plugin we have.

JmZ and JmZ only should be the only one working on this, no one else.

---------- Post added at 06:51 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:49 PM ----------

The ultimate idea of conducting quiz is to bring our members together and be active again. + learn a few stuffs.
So a separate channel wouldn't do much to WJ.

You could always have a web IRC like mibbit linked...

You are correct, it is the Chatbox plugin that's malfunctioning.
tbh, its not designed to handle the heavy load that we have during Quiz Nights..

We have made a little change in the settings (refresh rate of chat box), lets hope that it works better from now.

OMG THIS IS TOO FUNNY
blame the forum software entirely omfg
not the badly coded plugin

oh wait you redeem yourself here

Being on vB 3.x.x has NOTHING to do with it, it's just the shitty shoutbox plugin we have.

JmZ and JmZ only should be the only one working on this, no one else.

---------- Post added at 06:51 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:49 PM ----------

You could always have a web IRC like mibbit linked...

IRC will not have the member's db and will not have the moderating abilities that we have on our forum. Lots of things might happen, identities can be switched... moderating chats will be tough, identifying the culprit will be tough.

But we'll have something interesting in the upgrade, Lets hope it works better then.

Dj, the cyb chatbox has already been highly modified by JmZ.

The only other way to improve it is to completely recode and and recode the way it works.
On each refresh interval, it grabs all the shouts, rather than only the new ones.

Also, you guys might consider lowering the number of shouts that display in the chatbox, I think the default is 30, change it to like 20 or 25, that might help a little as it also changes the amount of chats it grabs on each refresh interval.

I know this doesn't help fix the problem but on a positive note it's a long time since WJ complained about the site slow (or part of it) due to large activity so while this is annoying it's a good complaint in some ways.

I know this doesn't help fix the problem but on a positive note it's a long time since WJ complained about the site slow (or part of it) due to large activity so while this is annoying it's a good complaint in some ways.
Yes, i agree.
We are working towards positivity :)

Would be great if you could help us in that regards aswell. >.>

The tweaks seem to have made a slight improvement no longer getting 2ms latency.

But something that would improve it more is just fetching new shouts and loading them in.
At the moment it seems to be loading in data even if its old that's just a pointless use of bandwidth.

I looked at ipb's shoutbox recently and every ajax call it makes has the id of the last shout and i'm assuming it is just doing a select * from x where id > POSTED_ID.

Thus removing the need for looping unnecessary data (JmZ is free to correct me which i am certain he will do).

But i'm sure that will help in high demand situations as well.

Last edited:
IRC will not have the member's db and will not have the moderating abilities that we have on our forum. Lots of things might happen, identities can be switched... moderating chats will be tough, identifying the culprit will be tough.

But we'll have something interesting in the upgrade, Lets hope it works better then.

No it wouldn't LOL
Just like any private tracker or even WBB, you can have an IRC but with registered users only (with more than x amount of posts and what not). The chats would only be used for quiz night and there would be scripts to kick people who spam and what not. I say it's a foolproof idea. The only issue is, how are we suppose to include the member db without compromising the WJ server?

IRC doesn't take long to learn despite how 1337 and shit people make it out to be.

Last edited:
No it wouldn't LOL
Just like any private tracker or even WBB, you can have an IRC but with registered users only (with more than x amount of posts and what not). The chats would only be used for quiz night and there would be scripts to kick people who spam and what not. I say it's a foolproof idea.

IRC doesn't take long to learn despite how 1337 and shit people make it out to be.

Yes, we can have. I don't deny that.

But how will you identify the members? You can be me, i can be someone else. Ultimately, you can't relate the member ID with the forum itself.

Its useless when you can't identify them, as this Quiz is all about WJunction.

Username and pass. I'm pretty sure you're with some private tracker Froomple, try going into their IRC, look at their process. Then look at how you can see those implementations for WJ.

Anyways it's just an idea if the shoutbox still turns out to be shitty.

I don't think moving to IRC is something that is going to happen. The idea of the quiz is to promote activity the staff have a point saying its pointless if we have to move somewhere else to have it.

But the point is being brought up again of getting wj to look to the future. Websockets makes IRC irrelevant since you can have instant messaging functionality and have it cache into the current database no need for waiting for an ajax reload to load in new data.

Ajax is good for simple data refreshing but its no good for instant chatting it was never designed for that websockets was and solves this problem.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back