Public tracker with private torrents?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Amfidiusz

Hey,

Do you know any public tracker that allows to create private torrents? By private I mean files that will not be listed in the search results (it is available only if direct URL is given) or will be password protected?

I would like to give a break to my FTP account and share files more easily. I was actually thinking about setting up my own tracker but it's too much for me ;)

9 comments
That's not possible. The only possible thing is to create a torrent for a private tracker, and then upload it to sites like mininova, piratebay etc. People will be able to find it, but if they don't have an account on that private tracker that the torrent is using, they won't be able to download it.

You've misunderstud the torrent tracker with the torrent search engine at some part :)

If you could tell me more about who should be able to upload those files, and who should be able to download them, we might come up with a nice solution for you :) If you were using FTP, maybe you won't have to use torrents.

No misunderstanding here. I have never mentioned torrent search engines ;)
Let's stay focused on torrent trackers. I believe TbSource has had that functionality implemented by default. Do you know any sites that have not switched it off?

---

Well, these are project files varying between 50 and 500 megabytes. I need to spread them among a few people like once a week. I used to do that through a folder on my FTP account but I've reached its limits ;)
Uploading them on file hosts is also no-go for us as we all would need to keep Premium accounts which would be useless for us except from that.

Last edited:
I have never seen an option to make a torrent private, you can't protect the torrent file, unless it's on a private tracker so it requires a login to download it :) Why do you need to protect your files? You have 2 solutions:

1) Make torrents and upload them to public trackers
2) Make torrents and upload them to private trackers

Either way I think you'll get what you want :) If you want only your friends to access your files, RAR the stuff you want with password protection :) That's the easiest way to do what you want :)

Here's your solution:

http://publicbt.com/

You just annouce the torrent to that URL, and you give the .torrent file to those people that you want to download it. Your torrent won't be indexed anywhere else.

I won't care about the feedback as they will be supposed to reach a specific target.
Thanks a lot for you help, I think you solved my problem! :)

----

publicbt looks promising!!!

No problem at all, if you need anything else, feel free to ask :)

By the way remember, if you need extra protection, just RAR the files with password even if you're tracking them on publicbt :)

Cheers!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back