Directadmin + Namecheap + ecatel setup help

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zing

So i got a box and a domain.

Directadmin was installed with ns1.ecatel.net & ns2.ecatel.net

I entered those 2 @ namecheap under nameservers.

I then went to User Level > (No domains listed yed) Domain administration > add another domain > entered my domain > Create

Is that all i need to do to point my domain to my server?

8 comments
Ok done that in direct admin....

Now, do i need to add ns1.mydomain.com to namecheap?

Yes if you created ns1.mydomain and ns2.mydomain then you should do that, in directadmin also go admin level=>administrator settings and enter the hostname (like server.yourdomain.com)and nameservers correctly.

After you have done that you should go to admin level=>DNS Administration and make sure you have the hostname set there (like server.yourdomain.com) and that it contains both there records:
server.yourdomain.com. NS ns1.yourdomain.com.
server.yourdomain.com NS ns2.yourdomain.com.

After that you should be set to go. I do suggest using a service like editdns or everydns. If your trafic flow get's huge there will be a reduce in server load if it doesn't have to use the nameservers.

I have no idea what editdns or everydns is. namecheap has a dns service too.

If i had to guess, third parties can act as my nameservers instead of my server = reduction of load... is that right?

I have no idea what editdns or everydns is. namecheap has a dns service too.

If i had to guess, third parties can act as my nameservers instead of my server = reduction of load... is that right?

Yup that is correct. If you want to learn more you should read alot about it. I remember the day when I was a directadmin and server noob :P , now im a bit further :D

They have great redundancy since their name servers are distributed evenly around the world, i am guessing this means faster DNS cache updates and more people can visit if i change servers etc...

They have great redundancy since their name servers are distributed evenly around the world, i am guessing this means faster DNS cache updates and more people can visit if i change servers etc...

Yup :) that's the main thing why people use it ;)

i setup a "A" and "NS" record.
is that all i need?

A & NS point to mydomain.com
and A = my dedicated up
NS = ns1.mydomain.com

Edit: also added a "A" recored with www.mydomain.com

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back