Status
Not open for further replies.

Ruriko

I bought a dedi server for the purpose of video encoding. The cpu is AMD Phenom II x6 1045t. I installed windows server 2008 enterprise and started encoding using the slowest preset in x264. The speed was 12 FPS which is slow but I notice the FPS decreases & increases as time pasts by. I'm wondering does windows set any cpu or i/o limits on default?

4 comments
no. normally windows don't set any limits. But Windows won't priorise your encoding the highest possible way.
So you encoding-process will be stopped, if there is a process that needs to be done and has a higher priority.

On top of this, encoding-speed can vary depending on the content of the video.
if you got large Parts within one color, x264 can encode faster than on pictures with many different shapes, colors etc.
just like jpeg.

IO shouldn't be a problem, since you probably won't use more than 10MB/s and if your HDD don't get that fast, look for another server.

12FPS isn't that high - especially for a 6core CPU.
what encoding-program do you use?
have you checked, that you use all 6 Cores?
define "slowest preset" ?

no. normally windows don't set any limits. But Windows won't priorise your encoding the highest possible way.
So you encoding-process will be stopped, if there is a process that needs to be done and has a higher priority.

On top of this, encoding-speed can vary depending on the content of the video.
if you got large Parts within one color, x264 can encode faster than on pictures with many different shapes, colors etc.
just like jpeg.

IO shouldn't be a problem, since you probably won't use more than 10MB/s and if your HDD don't get that fast, look for another server.

12FPS isn't that high - especially for a 6core CPU.
what encoding-program do you use?
have you checked, that you use all 6 Cores?
define "slowest preset" ?

The encoding program I use is MeGUI. What I meant for slowest preset is if you choose x264 as the codec you can choose a profile which contains slowest preset

no, windows does not have any cpu limits.
your cpu 2.7 Ghz x6 = 16.2 GHZ

12 fps is very good for slowest preset. speed matters on the resolution of the video you are encoding.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back