Search engines and copied content

Status
Not open for further replies.

johnny nguyen

I am wondering if search engines check to see if part of your content has been copied from another website. I have two websites that are very similar and are hosted on the same server. Will I be punished by search engines in some way?

7 comments
If you have content that was copied from another site, Google will penalize your site, due to the DCMA copyright law. If you want to take content from other sites. There are 2 ways:

- Ask for permission, then make sure you don't change any detail from their articles, then cite the source and link back to it, so Google can understand that you're reposting, not stealing content.
- Use the blockquote feature.

If you have content that was copied from another site, Google will penalize your site, due to the DCMA copyright law. If you want to take content from other sites. There are 2 ways:

- Ask for permission, then make sure you don't change any detail from their articles, then cite the source and link back to it, so Google can understand that you're reposting, not stealing content.
- Use the blockquote feature.

can you please define the blockquote feature.

I am wondering if search engines check to see if part of your content has been copied from another website. I have two websites that are very similar and are hosted on the same server. Will I be punished by search engines in some way?
Of course search engines will now. If you want to avoid duplicate content then I think you should use a canonical tag.

I won't say it's punished. But your rank will not be high. As their content is similar, one of them will get a much lower rank due to copied content. However, as long as you don't do anything suspicious, your site is ok (don't give them backlink too fast, don't buy backlink or use traffic service)

As both of your website having the same content, Google will consider this as a duplicate content. You should not publish same content to 2 different websites, Google may not immediately punish you but it may create a problem in future.

It's not big mistake as long as you control error and warning on google webmaster. The instant impact to you is your sites will hardly to increase their ranks in google serp if they aint have fresh/unique content. What is the point of you made sites which arent able to gain visitors? The other side if you follow google directions, and take control on webmaster tool, you will gain many and free and targeted and high quality visitors. That kind of visitor will increase your advertiser's bids

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back