Registering a domain just for email?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jesse

Anyone do this? I've been using -removed domain- just for email for about 2 months or so. I used to just use a gmail account for specific things, but thought I'd go a little fancy. Sometimes places I signup ask if they can have a account lol So seems like a good way to get attention in some cases. Actually sold ads to a website when we started a convo because he liked the email name I used.

Last edited:
4 comments
I know a few small companies I deal with have the domain for their company and use it for email but don't have a website set up. It works fine as the work they do doesn't require a website but they need email communication. Is that what your on about?

Oh hang on then I know what you mean.... I had a domain I used to use for email and have all emails redirect to a main account. eg info@example.com , support@example.com accounts@example.com all returned into the one inbox.

When registering for accounts I'd use stuff like wjunction@example.com, google@example.com, spotify@example.com, dropbox@example.com and everywhere I registered an account. The great thing about doing this is you can prioritize very easily accounts and if you start getting spam you know exactly the source of the spam. If you start getting spam from wjunction@example.com you know that WJunction has had a server breach or security issue and can change your password before the website themselves even know their is a security issue. This happened with dropbox when they had a security issue too.

A checkbox in Google Apps (which I use) redirects all emails to a central inbox so it's easy to do and you don't have to first create the email address before you register on a certain site.

Yes. Exactly. You're just expanding on the idea.

Just another way to stand out too. I paid $8 for the domain. Free email hosting for a year and within a week sold a $500 ad for a week just by registering somewhere with the email.

Some conversations have started just by somebody seeing the email and laughing.

Anyway, just a small idea on how to stand out rather than using a standard gmail address.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back