Votes: 25 83.3%
  • replace it with Discord

Votes: 5 16.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
7 comments
IMO it all depends on the implementation and Discord widget styling. The default WidgetBot widget looks a bit too "fat" and out-of-place in terms of styling. Beyond that though I can't really think of any arguments in favor of oldschool shoutboxes other than maybe "grrr I hate changes!". On the other hand I can think of quite a few in favor of Discord: it's super flexible, convenient, has a ton of features, you can do some cool things by using custom bots that integrate with the forum, and it stays up even when WJ is down.

That said, I personally don't really care which one ends up being used.

Reactions: JR
I come by and read what everyone's talking about , but lately all I see is "Shoutbox has been Pruned" , and that really sucks
I was just about to mention that. Certain members take the voice away from others in the shoutbox. The only moderation I see there is "Shoutbox has been Pruned" very annoying and discord is intended for gaming not for websites.

That might have been true when Discord came out but not in the last few years. Tons of communities and sites, gaming or not, run maintain Discord servers (https://disboard.org/search), much like many of them have a Facebook/Twitter/IG group/account.
I know they have now opened up but it's typical for them to USE gaming community to get known. They have great features but it is still *in my opinion* targeted more towards gaming. The channels / server hosting is a teamspeak rip off. They keep logs thanks but no thanks too risky for the nature of this site like I said lol

Opened up? What does that even mean? It's always been a chat/VOiP service for anyone, just like Skype etc. The extra features WRT gaming are just that, extra (optional) features. I really don't get your point. Out of the 12 servers I'm on, 2 of them (which also happen to be the two smallest ones) are gaming related. The rest are all tech, programming and Linux. None of those "got known" through anything gaming related. The channels are as much of a Teamspeak ripoff as Windows is a Unix ripoff and Facebook is a MySpace ripoff (they're not). The hosting is completely different. And yes they obviously keep logs. As does virtually every other website and service, including WJ and most of the ones that claim they don't. Do you think your info is any safer on a random OVH server, Google, or any address that starts with HTTP for that matter? If so I've got bad news for you... If you don't like Discord then just say you don't like it. As with everything it's never going to be everyone's cup of tea, and that's fine. But these are some terrible arguments.

Reactions: M
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back