Do you think that this is a good idea? (read the thread first!)

• Yes, it's a great idea!

Votes: 6 46.2%
  • No, your idea sucks.

Votes: 7 53.8%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

kewld00d

So I was thinking that if there are private torrent sites (invite only/ratio/etc.) why not have a private warez forum?

It would be nice because it would increase the quality of the site and uploads and build more of a community around the site. What do you think?

I'm posting a poll so you can vote.

14 comments
How would the ratio be determined? by posts? how would the system know that the posts are uploads?

because torrents ratios are based on download and uploading (seeding)

I've got a big pack of vB mods that I messed around with a little that do ratio based on a cash mod, and give for posting downloads, and take a little away for downloading.

Well, obviously differentiation is an issue with any site.

I think that the reason somebody would choose a private forum would be because of protocol preference/a dislike of p2p in general. Also forums generally have a stronger community (although with some torrent sites this is not the case).

Honestly, I believe that this may be a way to fix what has gone wrong with this scene. I'll spare you my "in the good 'ole days" rant.

So I was thinking that if there are private torrent sites (invite only/ratio/etc.) why not have a private warez forum?

It would be nice because it would increase the quality of the site and uploads and build more of a community around the site. What do you think?

I disagree that the principle would work for forums, unless you had allot of exclusive content, why would someone come to you, and have to get an invite, and work there ass off, when thye can go to warez-bb or any one of the number of public forums and get the same file with no effort.

One of the main reasons private trackers work is it is percieved safer because moddified trackers, only x number of members can access so less likely to be anti piracy companies etc, becuase your ip address is publicly facing, e.g. you can pull all seeders/peers from a torrent client, and log who downloaded what, however with forums none of this is an issue becuase your ip is not broadcast to the public, lets take warez bb, you find a linux post, you download a linux file from rapidshare, the only 2 people who get your ip in this transaction is warez-bb in the access logs assuming you dont post, (i doubt they check it) and rapidshare (in download logs but they appearently dont log what file you download, so at best all they have is an access log of a file url, which again i doubt they check, either way just by vising the url doesnt prove you downloaded it)....

Therefore there is only two weak points, so aslong as you dont go to a forum or file host run by an anti piracy company then your ip address is at no point on offer.

This is ofcource downloaders only, uploaders rapidshare has the ip of accounts and knows which account uploaded what and theoretically could hand over your ip address to an anti piracy company, but a private forum would not mitigate this particularly.

Therefore it is my opinion that a private forum = fail, unless you have exclusive content.

The only way it would work is if you had a team of rippers and program crackers. Or subsequently, you took the stuff from a good private torrent tracker (easier way).

You would probably do better to make a private webmaster forum for admins who have a website with more then 1000, 5000, 10,000 members...
oh shi- that's a good idea.. anyone wanna help me start one up? :P

u can be private and make me an admin ;)
seriously good idea and i dont think it should have ratio just 100 post maximum a day u can like remove the block for the links to access the links

There are other reasons for a private forum besides safety, however.

Not only do you build a strong community around the sharing of private files, you also increase the effectiveness of request systems.

This system is also very likely to lead to exclusive content by further incentivizing unique uploads.

EDIT: I'm also thinking about adding some private FTP stuff to it.

IDEA Sucks for Some Simple Reasons

1) Katz FTW for Warez why bother then u get for free so no1 will even try to get Invite on ur Forum unless u have 0day Group Members
2) FTP Dumps is Equal to http:// downloads when u get premium accounts
3) Private Trackers are hit coz of good download speed but still not equivalent to http:// downloads just the thing 0Day Releases make them Special

Idea could really work if files are hosted at your server. (This case people would not go looking for premium accounts). Maybe offering some goodies at the start to encourage uploading from members?

That's what I've been thinking: it will probably have to have some kind of dedicated server to host the files. I'm going to delay this a little bit until I can get the kind of resources that will require, but I think I will plan on launching a site like this.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back