[Discuss] inode limits on shared/reseller/vps

Status
Not open for further replies.

Loonycgb2

Now im starting this thread only because after finally monitoring this by hand and not using tools i have notified a couple of my own clients of our inode rules and limits and what will happen if certain inode limits are surpassed.

Not only did many agree and say that it was fine, but we had very aggravated users who became angry due to this and tried to come up with excuses as to why they cannot be affected.

Those aggravated users were the users with over 400,000 inodes!! And we are talking about shared hosting at the moment.

A normal number for shared hosting is between 50k to 250k since inodes includes:

• Files
  • Folders
  • Emails
  • anything which uses disk space....
Just about 99% of the host's here may possibly know what a inode is, but do not use it as they either do not know how to monitor it or don't know what it is.

We use inode limits as it helps keep our hdd speeds at a great performance, keeps disk usage down from abuse.

Offering backups can really cause a huge load from higher inodes because of the file system having to search for each file and folder. Imagine having to search for over 100,000 things by hand it will really tire you out.

Too many users they find no reason as to why this should be enforced, but for hosts it keeps our server loads down.

Don't forget VPS's with OpenVZ are limited to 1,000,000 inodes.
I bet many vps owners did not know that. Its rare users hit that limit since its very high.

What are your thoughts on this?

Maybe after other host's read this they might start to look into it.
Also a nice fact to know have you noticed the bigger web host companies offer unlimited space? It is because no one will ever reach unlimited since inode limits are in place.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back