Status
Not open for further replies.

Kanbi

Hey guys,

i am curenttly using a 1gbps dedicated server and this weekend i had 640mbits in use at peak times!
that's heavy i guess^^

i was in contact with my hoster and they made me a very good price for a 10gbps dedicated server.

but am i right with my thinking:

if i have a 10gbps port i can use really 10times more traffic than before with my 1gbps?

because i am expecting to get about 900mbits in the next 3 weeks because my customers grow really quick :)

best regards

5 comments
You Need SSD 6Gbps or SAS 6Gbps disks to get speed more than 1Gbps, else your hdd can't handle this speed, and the result : your server will crash or it will hang.

1 of our client using SSD 6Gbps and with hardware raid0, Sometime windows hangs with around 6Gbps constant speed. So its better to get 2Gbps or 4Gbps, don't waste your money with 10Gbps when you can't even use it.

And with 1Gbps you can always get 900Mbps without upgrading to 10Gbps, just get better hdd and cpu.

Hey guys,

i am curenttly using a 1gbps dedicated server and this weekend i had 640mbits in use at peak times!
that's heavy i guess^^

i was in contact with my hoster and they made me a very good price for a 10gbps dedicated server.

but am i right with my thinking:

if i have a 10gbps port i can use really 10times more traffic than before with my 1gbps?

because i am expecting to get about 900mbits in the next 3 weeks because my customers grow really quick :)

best regards

Ok but i don't have much HDD I/O going on i guess because i have only a nginx running as a media server.^^

CPU and RAM is in peak times under 40% of usage!

so i guess the scenario you build saninokia isn't going to affect me at all!? :D
but thanks for the great info!

but my thoughts are correct in my startpost?

900Mbps = around 110MB/s speed, if your hdd is SATAII or SATAIII, then it can handle this speed. but as i said if you want to go with 10Gbps which is around 10000Mbps/8 = 1250MB/s , and your hdd is not capable of this speed. so maximum you can grab 2Gbps with any lower hdd, i just confirmed you that going with 10Gbps is waste of money if you don't have a lot SSD or SAS 6Gbps disks and raid0.

Do not waste your money over such ports, you wont be able to use more than 2.5-3 Gbps with regular configurations.

if you need so much bandwidth have you thought about clustering 2 1gbit servers?
So you have 2Gbit loading from it's own HDD.

The only problem is syncing database and files between the two systems.
it depends what you are doing.
if you do s.th. like stream, you can move your Streaming-Material to a subdomain and let the DNS roudrobin your IPs (easiest way there is)
for streaming and Downloading platforms, you should also think about setting up an fronent and don't mirror files to multiple servers, but "distrivute" them. (So video 1 on server1, vid2 on server 2, vid 3 on server 1 and so on - thus saving HDD-Space)
Or limiting the Speed a user can max. get from the System.

There are few possibilities.
10gibt Server are nice, but you have to make sure, the rest of the Hardware can handle this (as already said), your DC is able to route this much speed to your server.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back