Website Bandwidth Usage (is the normal)

Status
Not open for further replies.

-Fig-

Hello everyone, I just want to know is my Server bandwidth usage normal because my site uses about 16GB Daily.

content loaded from my server = homepage: 983.64 KB, avg post page: 515.93 KB. I have 49,000 page views daily. 5K daily user and avg page per session: 7.95 .

Thank you.

3 comments
Without context none of those numbers can be used to make a rough estimate of what you should be expecting in terms of bandwidth consumption. For example, "homepage: 983.64 KB" tells us nothing. Is that the size of the html content? Or is it HTML+JS+CSS etc? And if so, is any of it not hosted on your server (ie CDN)? Does it include all media such as images? Is it before or after compression? Same goes page views. What is a page view? Is it the user requesting a html page? Does it include hot-linking to stuff like images?

There are a ton of variables which all have to be considered. The easiest way to get a rough upper bound estimate is to do some calculations based on HTTP request logs. To get an accurate number you have to run specialized software for it. That said, 16 GB/day sounds accurate for that kind of traffic on a site that isn't using any kind of optimization.

Without context none of those numbers can be used to make a rough estimate of what you should be expecting in terms of bandwidth consumption. For example, "homepage: 983.64 KB" tells us nothing. Is that the size of the html content? Or is it HTML+JS+CSS etc? And if so, is any of it not hosted on your server (ie CDN)? Does it include all media such as images? Is it before or after compression? Same goes page views. What is a page view? Is it the user requesting a html page? Does it include hot-linking to stuff like images?

There are a ton of variables which all have to be considered. The easiest way to get a rough upper bound estimate is to do some calculations based on HTTP request logs. To get an accurate number you have to run specialized software for it. That said, 16 GB/day sounds accurate for that kind of traffic on a site that isn't using any kind of optimization.

983.64 KB Is the total amount loaded from my server (including every file). I got the page views from google analytics, the way they describe it: "Pageviews is the total number of pages viewed. Repeated views of a single page are counted".

Thank you for the reply man, I am gonna start optimizing the site.

GA will only count views from HTML pages. So if a site is embedding an image from your site or a user lands directly on a non-HTML page (like an image) it will not count as a page view but will obviously still consume bandwidth assuming the image or whatever wasn't cached in the users browser.

So is the 983.64 KB compressed or uncompressed? I'm guessing compressed because it is rather low considering the size of some JS libs these days. If you just take that number and multiply it by 49.000 it's just under 46 GB/day. This is obviously extremely inaccurate. Web browser caching will save a huge chunk of that and the homepage is probably larger than most other pages if it's a WP/blog type site. Keeping in mind that this doesn't factor in hotlinking traffic or things like server updates and other random things that consume bandwidth you see 16 GB is a very realistic figure. In fact, if you hadn't mentioned the 16 GB/day figure I would have probably estimated it between 20-25 GB..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back