Status
Not open for further replies.

InfoBot

Informational Bot
Corporate Membership
Hello,

This announcement is to inform our users that we will be upgrading to vBulletin 4. Currently, we are test upgrading everything on a development board and shall be applying the upgrade once all errors have been rectified. This will also allow us to use vBulletin's mobile suite; bringing the long awaited mobile theme!

Thank you,
WJunction Staff

42 comments
I like the idea, Hopefully you guys don't wait as long to upgrade to 5 after your up-graded too 4

---------- Post added at 09:28 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:27 PM ----------

Last edited:
I take that back, vBulliten 5 is out so why are we upgrading to 4 :|

http://www.vbulletin.com/features/

Im not sure if thats it or not but still question stands.

http://www.vbulletin.com/vb5demo/

vB 4 and even 5 look like a copy of IPB, IPB -> Way to go =\ But i stand behind you guys decssions

---------- Post added at 09:32 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:31 PM ----------

imo the css and everything setup and all looks horrid on vb4 & vb5.

=\

vBulletin 5 has a distinct lack of effective modifications for the base on which it relies. Few developers have divulged information on their respective code alterations and modifications for the application of the forum software known by the name of "vBulletin 5". Through investigative work and countless seconds of incredible concentration through intrigue, there appears to be an apparent lack of reason to update to the said version of this possibly excellent piece of potentially good software on this forum in particular. Should the chicken lay an egg on the roof, we will act accordingly and fire missiles at Poland.

vb5, less mods, less support, new, requires rewrite of most of our mods = vb4 is the better option for now.

As long as it looks the same and the recent posts box has a refresh button i'm a happy camper.

Are all the mods that are on this forum going to be ported over or not ?

I for one and extremely excited and looking forward to the upgrade.

For those of you who prefer IPB over VBulletin, it's not the script that matters. What matters is what you do with the script. There are plenty of sites out there that are operating on IPB that don't know how to properly install customized modifications and to take the design and functionality above and beyond the norm.

The story here on WJ is not the same. What sets us above the rest is the innovation. When this site was created it was created by leaders of the scene. We are moving toward that same direction again, and I hope you are all here to witness the next generation of this great community.

There will be changes coming, and the upgrade of the forum is only just the beginning of things to come.

Best way to effect the change is to know what features change. in my opinion WJ has to balance between simplicity and fast loading speeds the current VBulletin CMS has over security considerations of the chosen replacements. Similarity and familiarity should be taken seriously as its quite common for site users to get lost in the site after a major change. all in all its a great move to keep users in the loop.

I for one and extremely excited and looking forward to the upgrade.

For those of you who prefer IPB over VBulletin, it's not the script that matters. What matters is what you do with the script. There are plenty of sites out there that are operating on IPB that don't know how to properly install customized modifications and to take the design and functionality above and beyond the norm.

The story here on WJ is not the same. What sets us above the rest is the innovation. When this site was created it was created by leaders of the scene. We are moving toward that same direction again, and I hope you are all here to witness the next generation of this great community.

There will be changes coming, and the upgrade of the forum is only just the beginning of things to come.

I agree with that to a point. vB4 has damn ugly Web UI. Their dropdown's, color schemes, it's just ugly.

Of course it can be changed but why waste time? Latest IPB would be best choice.

It's not the script that matters but content I agree but it's like saying we don't need BMW, Peugeot 206 will do the job, it's rolling after all?

None the less, good luck with change.

To be honest I know most people don't like vB4 but I have used it and I can say I think this is a great idea. Hope you went with the 'Suite' as it has many more features. And now everyone can stop complaining about not having a mobile theme. Looking forward to it...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back