PayPal is expanding buyer protection for intangible or virtual items

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rox

This is the e-mail I received:

Starting July 1, 2015, purchases of intangible or virtual items, such as digital goods, services, travel and event tickets will be eligible for PayPal Buyer Protection. As a seller, you’ll benefit from this protection, as buyers will have more confidence buying from you.

Frequently Asked Questions

What can you expect from this update?
An increase in buyer confidence
Minimize the risk of chargebacks through better resolution
Items not eligible now include real estate, businesses, vehicles, custom-made items (not-as-described claims), industrial machinery, items equivalent to cash and prohibited items.

If a customer discovers a problem after July 1, 2015 regarding a purchase of an intangible good before that date, can they make a claim?
No, the policy comes into effect on July 1, 2015, and only protects transactions that are initiated on or after that date.
PTlzEoJBoh_MmfBkid0Zpq52noprlQ18xbdjh57WOQvrYIaHC-I7IkVC4DQq64vn9U9D9Dqbfe9gHWQ-S1yqsp3HrK2Y_DjvssSAqa6vrhgG8IXllNjpdVIaqcOBBTjLZ99Rt8GXkrW5pL637zOEyuw=s0-d-e1-ft
What evidence should the seller provide to rebut a buyer protection claim?
When claims are submitted, we consider them on their merits. If a claim is made against one of your sales, we’ll require evidence from you to prove that the buyer has received the intangible goods or services, or benefited from the transaction. As such, we encourage you to retain proof of delivery and other evidence of your transaction for at least 6 months.

13 comments
In that case, it would be wise to keep logs of users.
For exmaple:

if RDP keep logs of buyer/user login by IP, I think 2-3 login's would be sufficient as evidence to buyers receival / use of goods or services.
RDP service can send and e-mails with read receipts as evidence of product delivery.

Those just a couple that come into my mind.

Agreed a well move, but i wonder how are they going to verify with the option that buyer has: A buyer's credit card number is stolen and used fraudulently :whistling:

agreed, this is very good start and should of been done awhile back. As mentioned though charge backs still an issue. Im guessing there will be no resolution for that as Visa vs Paypal we know who wins.

This is a very good move by paypal. This was needed to be implemented a long time ago. But yes it is better now than never :)

Solely produced for Paypal mobile payment purpose, Magento paypal mobile application free wordpress plugin allows your clients to cover their orders using their Paypal accounts.
Read more ///

Last edited by a moderator:
It is a very hot discussion I believe. Will be very hard to enforce, but Paypal needs to step up the game with many other companies coming forward making money transfer easier.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back