1. citykitteh

citykitteh New Member Member

Mar 13, 2012
    http://www.nzherald.co.nz/business/news/article.cfm?c_id=3&objectid=10800409

Basically, the United States has very strict rules about notifying people of lawsuits and how long you have to do so an it appears that they screwed up service on the actual business entity Megaupload.

The NZ News article has the bare bones and Ernesto at Torrent freak has more info here:

http://torrentfreak.com/megaupload-trial-may-never-happen-judge-says-120420/

2. cvrle77

cvrle77 New Member Member

Aug 21, 2009
    LOL, if they fail that will really be the biggest fail I ever saw :D Oh, I would LOVE to see that....

3. ShareShiz

ShareShiz Banned Banned

Feb 13, 2010
    By the looks of it. MAJOR FAIL.

.. but I wonder if MU will ever come back :|

4. citykitteh

Mar 13, 2012
    Just by reading the indictment, it's clear the US Attorney's Office has expended a vast amount of resources investigating this case. That doesn't even count the hours of court time and attorney time that has been spent on extradition, seizure motions and the like. What's more, how badly they messed up the service could lead to sanctions against them in Megaupload's favor -- if it was done incorrectly enough -- to cover attorney's fees to defend them.

5. LEVAC109

LEVAC109 New Member Member

Mar 30, 2010
    So you're saying the US government will be shutdown? :o

6. citykitteh

Mar 13, 2012
    Haha! No! They could just be sanctioned by the court and required to pay the Megaupload guy's attorneys fees. Otherwise, big troubles with the court. But if that happened, the court would look at the bills for the attorney fees and decide how much of it is reasonable to pay. Lots of times those bills get cut in half.

7. LEVAC109

LEVAC109 New Member Member

Mar 30, 2010
    Yes! I like that US to do that. I mean, they destroyed MU's business and where they gonna get money if they just leave and say go back and do whatever you want to do, you're free xD Lol. It makes sense now. US should pay!

8. citykitteh

Mar 13, 2012
    We'll see what happens, but lots of times when attorneys make big screw-ups like this, judges try to help cover unfair costs the other party had to pay.

9. aussiegeorge

aussiegeorge New Member Member

Jan 2, 2011
    lol he will win as it's NZ and the Laws are more enforced not covered over.

10. JGM

JGM New Member Member

Jan 7, 2008
    Sorry but wait a damn minute here... this has only just come to light and yet in various threads I have specifically said how can this case even be on going still due to this "error" (whatever it may be).

Not to blow my own horn here but it says a lot when somebody with no real knowledge of the legal system can make a decision on something which is accurate compared to these guys that takes weeks/months/years to come to same decisions!

:facepalm:

JGM.

11. masterb56

masterb56 New Member Member

Sep 21, 2010
    Not only lawyer fees. They need to return all of his assets to him and if they can't, the US government would have to pay Kim $$ as compensation.

12. ms7

ms7 New Member Member

May 15, 2011
    this is the best news regarding cyberlockers i heard in a while.
    Anyway..the harm was done.
    And i guess this is just another tactic, at the end of the day other filesharing sites would have this under they noses: megaupload escaped with a procedural error, you wont.
    Maybe is paranoia or something but i really doubt that FBI and the prosecuters paid by hollywood would be so stupid to make this mistake unintentionally..

13. examan345

examan345 New Member Member

Apr 11, 2012
    lol
    megaupload get shut down by USA
    Later they figure out they had no jurisdiction to do it
    usa government is fail